Online security

G'day

Just asking if everyone uses a VPN when browsing equipment sites, forums etc.

I been pretty lax and haven't covered my tracks much... eBay purchases etc.

I mean you can delete Google searches but it's still there, n also your ISP has to provide to law enforcement your activities.

A vpn helps here, I've been slack tho.

Just wondering what others do n if I need to tidy up my act..

Cheers

You can go with a good Firewall, TOR and use a VPN at the same time, It's about as safe as you will probably maintain. Linux has far less vulnerabilities(set up properly, but is a bit more user intensive) than any winblows OS.

The problem is who knows what the Governments are capable of these days, after the can of worms Snowden presented to the public about what is possible with computers and mobile phones.

When and if Quantum computers become available, all present computer security will become redundant.

This topic has been mulled over countless times already.

Ok so what is Lunix?

Just like Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Mac OS X, Linux is an operating system. An operating system is software that manages all of the hardware resources associated with your desktop or laptop. To put it simply – the operating system manages the communication between your software and your hardware. Without the operating system (often referred to as the “OS”), the software wouldn’t function.

Lunix takes a bit of setting up and once set up properly its a very safe platform to use and hides your online activity pretty well.

What is TOR?

Tor is free and open-source software for enabling anonymous communication. The name is derived from an acronym for the original software project name "The Onion Router. Tor directs Internet traffic through a free, worldwide, volunteer overlay network consisting of more than seven thousand relays to conceal a user's location and usage from anyone conducting network surveillance or traffic analysis. Using Tor makes it more difficult to trace Internet activity to the user: this includes "visits to Web sites, online posts, instant messages, and other communication forms. Tor's intended use is to protect the personal privacy of its users, as well as their freedom and ability to conduct confidential communication by keeping their Internet activities from being monitored.

TOR is used to access the other 90% of the internet you cannot access by just using google and what not. TOR is thr home of the darkweb where anything goes.

What is a VPN?

A Virtual Private Network is a connection method used to add security and privacy to private and public networks, like WiFi Hotspots and the Internet. Virtual Private Networks are most often used by corporations to protect sensitive data. However, using a personal VPN is increasingly becoming more popular as more interactions that were previously face-to-face transition to the Internet. Privacy is increased with a Virtual Private Network because the user's initial IP address is replaced with one from the Virtual Private Network provider. Subscribers can obtain an IP address from any gateway city the VPN service provides. For instance, you may live in San Francisco, but with a Virtual Private Network, you can appear to live in Amsterdam, New York, or any number of cities.

The internet is what you make it.

I personally use on my PC lunix with TOR and the VPN, on phone or ipad i use VPN and firefox.

Now all i goto do is wrap my house with tin foil lol

• Upvote 3

In all seriousness I wouldn't worry about vpn's and all that shit to much if you just growing a few plants either indoor or outdoors. The 3 little pigs don't have the time and recourses to go after the little fish like us.

I buy and sell a little bit of silver and gold and for me using a vpn and what not gives me a some what a anonymous existence and piece of mind.

I do recommend having a paid VPN if you can though lol

• Upvote 1