Pot size recommendation

That's the stuff and I mixed to his recipe. 1/3 each peat, petite, and organic mulch from the aforementioned farm. I think the type of living soil method you fellas are suggesting is the same or similar to "No Till", right? It does sound like a more natural process than the Subcool Super Soil type method I'm currently planning. But by the time realized the difference, I had purchased and mixed the SS. If the supplies I've got can be repurposed, I'd consider it. But with the money I've spent recently, I'd rather not waste the Dr Greenthumbs mix or the soil I've already cooked.

Hi Veritas :)

No need to waste it mate ... it's valuable stuff.

you're right too ... notill and los are similar methods of growing in soil. most of the initial cannabis Living Organic Soilers (lmao ... no way of saying that without it sounding bad :) like clackamas coot (cc), bluejay (mountain organics) arlo, kalyx, eyeC, jerry, gimik and gas (and a fair few more that slip my mind) paid a lot of attention to where the components were sourced from and how clean they were. in some cases guana was looked at and the different levels of heavy metals found in many of the batches was narrowed down. other components like feather meal, alfalfa  and some of the rock minerals where also looked at thoroughly for chemical toxins. don't get me wrong ... there were and still are differences in opinions on the level of organics and even the safety of same of the organic ingredients. many use a no-till technique which by it's very nature requires close attention to everything that goes into the soil ... as it will grow plants for a long time. not all initially did no-till though .... cc (probably the main living soil yoda) didn't do this till a fair bit later. basically he would recyclye his soil by pulling it out of the pot and re-adding amendments, letting it rest for a while and then reuse it. he didn't seem to have too many problems growing dankness.:)

sorry ... a long winded way to basically say ... your soil will be very useful and will produce lovely buds.:) just a heads up ... you probably already were going to avoid this anyway ... but i wouldn't do my suggestion of planting the little sprout straight from the jiffy pellet into the soil. your original suggestion of using an inbetween pot, would work well.:)

____

and now for the rant .... sorry that time of night :)

subcool, rev and a few new ones popping up in australia are a very different story and share different philosophies to many of us Notillers and microbe guys. the living organic soil yodas freely shared all their knowledge and experience with anyone who was interested - they didn't try to sell their knowledge or hide components used in mixes. i suppose that there are a few heavy undertones from many of us who subscribe to this philosophy of 'giving canna knowledge kindly and freely'. we all started out as noobs until someone took the time to help us - i know that i have received invaluable help from so many ozstoner growers (hydro, soil, coco, hps, led .. all strokes) ... to take someone else's freely given help and make money from that kindness ... mmm ... might have another vape on that.:)

________

ahhh ... better ... rant over ... anyway, fortunately good soil is quite easy to make and also quite cheap ... especially in australia.:)

• Upvote 1

Thanks for all the good soil info fellas, quite the bonus for just a "pot size" question!  I've read more lately about the LOS/NT soils and they do sound good.  About as natural as you can get.  And it also sounds like everyone agrees I can repurpose my SS mix.  So I'm going to focus in on Itchy's info below for a moment.  He suggests a plan to dilute my current batch of 30L SS.

Dr GT recommends to cut the SS mix 1 to 4 for starting seedlings , in a living soil or in any soil really 

you should transplant well established seedlings , with that in mind , you could cut the soil you already 

have with more of the base soil , more peat , compost & perlite , at a rate of 1 part ss to 2 parts base mix 

which at a guesstimate should give no trouble & work as a plug & play soil mix that you can use right after you

mix the 2 together 

Do people agree that a 2:1 base soil to SS will make a good LOS soil, anybody see any problems this ratio?  I think the hard part is that I bought a premix and we don't know the exact ingredients or ratios.  But I suspect Dr GT is from the same school of thought as you guys and it should be a good starting point.  I tried emailing Dr GT sometime back, but got no response.  In my SS I added 500g of the GT premix to 10L each perlite, local organic compost, and sphagnum peat.  Thus if I grab another 20L of each I would have 90L of LOS which would be enough for my 3x 26L pots and some leftovers to dilute further for the seedling & intermediate pots.   I already have Dr GT Myco Inoculation and High Tea.  Putting all that together ... am I good to go?  Anything else I would need to add?

Extra info: Not sure if it really makes a difference, but the first grow with the soil will be HSO Mango Sapphire.  Indoor grow, so standard'ish vegetation times.

I think the hard part is that I bought a premix and we don't know the exact ingredients or ratios. 

also maybe try emailing Dr GT & ask the diff between his SS kit & no till starters kit 

& ratios for converting a SS mix to a no till mix https://www.drgreenthumbs.com.au/collections/all-in-one-nutrient-kits/products/doc-box-notill-starters-kit

I reckon this one is vital ... once we know what amendments are included, then it can be worked out pretty quickly.:) if you are close to a quarry or somewhere that sells rocks ... you could always get some cheap pumice/scoria/lava rock as your aeration component - having a mixed aeration (and humus component) is always nice. They might also have some clean basalt or granite dust that can be mixed with the soil - depending on what is in the premix. usually they give this away for free or tell you to fill a bucket. nearly forgot ... just check with the local organic compost seller about what was used in the compost and if there is any difference from the compost to the veggie mix (sometimes they mix a few things in it too).

lastly ... sorry mate ... just wanted to take any pressure off, as this should be lots of fun - not a hassle. as carb has said ... he had no worries with the soil mix. the HSO mango sapphire looks to be a pretty robust strain. if this starts to get too much of a pain in the arse ... grow this one out in your soil ... see how it goes and then if you are still keen, could always make your own soil next time round. speaking of which ... might be time to start an oz organic soil amendment thread.:)

ps ... the HSO Mango Sapphire looks like a keeper ... really looking forward to the grow.

• Upvote 1

Reckon it will be fine if your gonna cut it. Don't forget to add aeration and your compost component to suit.

I reckon they say it's a bit hotter than it is. Maybe partly due to covering themselves saying not to plant in anything but a vigorous specimen.

Properly mixed and aged, a hot mix on paper is remarkably docile in the real world imo.

Sometimes you can do something they say not to but it works anyway if your careful.

I have had no problems with burning plants or anything in anything hotter than a Cootes style mix. I have transplanted no worries at 3-4 nodes from a .4 l container of Cootes style it would have been planted in.

If you cut that like your saying I'd be planting seed straight in almost. Use a plug of peat size of your fist.

Despite my various mixes I think that lighter is better to start with.

I have pots that are getting better and better with the only input being the plant that went before it.

Hso sapphire mango looks good. Been looking at it myself, good indica with excellent smell and taste apparently. grow reports are good.

Hso supposed to be a decent breeder.

No matter how good it is, once it has done a few runs it gets noticeably better. Holds water better, uptakes water and nutrients better. With some diversity in the same pot adds another layer of awesome.

As itchy says, get roots in the soil,any roots. Build up the mycelium network. Airways and waterways.

I have some outside pots that have had various straight plants but are performing so well now there's defo gonna be canna in there come September.

• Upvote 2

No matter how good it is, once it has done a few runs it gets noticeably better. Holds water better, uptakes water and nutrients better. With some diversity in the same pot adds another layer of awesome.

yep ... carb speaks some serious truth

You know it Pug.

Slightly back to topic, you seen those fabric square pot jobbies that are square\rectangular and fit into the tent, perfect for a long term job or if you don't do indoor\outdoor. But nice and low and a big body of soil.

Fabric good with soil, I should use them more. Plastic pot wise, Bunnings do a 330mm diameter, 22.7 L plastic tomato planter that I have been rocking.

Nice and squat.

Crucially only 230mm high.

Put into perspective, Bunnings 32l is 335mm high, 14l is 290mm high.

yep ... carb speaks some serious truth