Help with bugs

Hi all fellow growers, just a quick question. Does anyone else have problems with grasshoppers here in Queensland outdoors. I have had heaps and the only success I've had is catching them actually on the plant and squashing them. I've noticed some of the stems have been stripped of green, like ring barked. I assume it's the pesky grasshoppers as that's all I really see on there. As I'm trying to keep as natural as possible I've sprayed a homemade garlic spray but not very effective. Any suggestions appreciated. [emoji38][emoji38]

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

• Upvote 1

depending on how many plants you have ... shadecloth (different uv levels depending on how far north you are) might be a go. if you only have a couple of plants that aren't too big, could always get a small greenhouse which comes with shadecloth and zips.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/our-range/garden/outdoor-structures/greenhouse-shadehouse

Edited by pug1010

wow ... they like your plants ... is it just the stems or do they eat most of the leaves too?

i've tried all sorts of recipes in the past ... using smelly stuff like garlic and cayenne, but when they are in numbers ... it doesn't seem do much. when i did grow outdoors, i used  a cheap greenhouse with a zip up front. it did the trick well, but the plants weren't huge, so was easy to move them in - also helped with the uv during summer. i found the only solution was to stop them getting access to the plants. if you grow in the ground or if the plants are big ... this gets more difficult. did notice that they seemed to come in waves ... sometimes grasshoppers, sometimes whiteflies ... except for the whiteflies which hung around for ages ... most insects moved along after a few weeks. when it got cooler, they seemed to decrease heaps in numbers ... cooler as in 28 during the day. :)

wow ... they like your plants ... is it just the stems or do they eat most of the leaves too?

i've tried all sorts of recipes in the past ... using smelly stuff like garlic and cayenne, but when they are in numbers ... it doesn't seem do much. when i did grow outdoors, i used a cheap greenhouse with a zip up front. it did the trick well, but the plants weren't huge, so was easy to move them in - also helped with the uv during summer. i found the only solution was to stop them getting access to the plants. if you grow in the ground or if the plants are big ... this gets more difficult. did notice that they seemed to come in waves ... sometimes grasshoppers, sometimes whiteflies ... except for the whiteflies which hung around for ages ... most insects moved along after a few weeks. when it got cooler, they seemed to decrease heaps in numbers ... cooler as in 28 during the day. :)

They just gnawed on the stems not the leaves but the ring barking has stopped the uptake of nutes to the top of some branches. I've tried the garlic and Cayenne too. Have never seen anything eating them though, had grasshoppers and wondered if they were the problem or is it something that is nocturnal. The heat has been relentlessly though with 33 just about every day for weeks but finally cooling down now so fingers crossed I will get something off my other plants that haven't been touched. Cheers[emoji106]

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app