First try at a no dig soil mix

i don't use bat guano or feather meal (or even alfalfa anymore) but have been told that they require a bit of time to breakdown (sometimes called 'cook') so that the plants can use their nutrients.

The slow release aspect was one of the reasons I chose them, this soil is for next summer's crop.

i use a fair bit more MPB and Basalt dust than in your recipe ... i think . :) coffee grounds also tend to make the soil more acidic, which could be balanced with your lime component.

What is MPB? The coffee grounds are likely to come out to offset increases elsewhere. I wasn't putting it in for the worms but the advertising was "coffee grinds will promote microbes and mycelium within your soil mix as it releases its nutrients" and they claim that it does not affect the Ph

it looks good ... i reckon you will grow some lovely plants. :)

______

just found my old and pretty simple soil recipe, if interested as a comparison ... has done a fair few cycles and i reckon it is getting better with age. similar to Carbcon, i use cups for amendments and have always converted cubic feet into about 28-30 litres.

Yes a cubic foot is 28.3 litres, I've converted everything to litres for convenience, I don't want to muck around with cups and cubic feet.

sorry ... sometimes get things the wrong way up or down :) ... MPB ... should be PMB or Powdered Malted Barley.

interesting article on coffee grinds:

https://www.sgaonline.org.au/using-coffee-grounds-in-the-garden/

the researcher seems to answer questions too, which is always nice.:)

just checked out the organic gardening solutions page from your link ... looks like a one stop shop ... just a question though ... are all the animal/plant products organic? if so and I hope so ... that makes life a fair bit easier for the future.:)

Edited by pug1010

just a question though ... are all the animal/plant products organic? if so and I hope so ... that makes life a fair bit easier for the future. :)

good question , very hard to get some organic raw ingredients in oz , although it's getting better all the time 

i have asked the question B4 , not of ogs but have had the answer

" no " not organic even though it was described as organic on the sellers site 

from pug's link 

Should I add coffee grounds to my garden?

This research suggests that when fresh, uncomposted coffee is added to gardens at volume application rates of 2.5% and higher it will likely decrease all plant growth and development. As such, it is probably a better idea to add coffee grounds to your compost to allow for decomposition of toxic components, and for the improved water holding capacity benefits to emerge. It is recommended that no more than 20% volume of spent coffee grounds be added to your compost6.

sorry ... sometimes get things the wrong way up or down :) ... MPB ... should be PMB or Powdered Malted Barley.

interesting article on coffee grinds:

https://www.sgaonline.org.au/using-coffee-grounds-in-the-garden/

the researcher seems to answer questions too, which is always nice. :)

just checked out the organic gardening solutions page from your link ... looks like a one stop shop ... just a question though ... are all the animal/plant products organic? if so and I hope so ... that makes life a fair bit easier for the future. :)

That article on coffee grounds is very interesting. I suspect that their growing experiments were done immediately after adding the coffee grounds which would be different to my situation.

I won't be using the first batch of soil for 6 months, planning to use it for next summer's grow. That should give plenty of time for any biological immobilisation to have resolved itself.

I picked up a sizeable bag from my local coffee shop today but I think compost bins and worm farms will be getting the grounds.

I'm actually planning to do a blend in a 120 litre container as well at the same time as the 160 litre. I'll put grounds in the 120 and then I can compare the two.

OGS's name would make you think that their products would be organic but I can't see any such claim on their website and no mention in their FAQ's. I would expect that to be one of the most frequently asked questions.

Consequently I would say that the answer to the question is no; if it was yes surely they would promote it.

"OGS's name would make you think that their products would be organic but I can't see any such claim on their website and no mention in their FAQ's. I would expect that to be one of the most frequently asked questions."

pity, but not unexpected ... i also like to know where stores source their products from ... i've found the ones who are happy to discuss it (sometimes in great depth), are gold.:)

In any case, reckon you will have some lovely plants. Your soil will be sooo ready when you plant. :)

ps ... if you plan on doing heaps of mixing ... you can pick up a small electric cement mixer pretty cheap these days - would make your life way easier ... when ever i mix a match of soil, i dream of it.:)

• Upvote 1

cement mixer would be very handy pug , i dream too , one day i'll get one 

i asked a retailer if his soy bean meal was organic & was told no

& took forever to find some malted barley grown organically 

you def want organic amendments for ya soil mix , you never know how 

long these nasty's will hang round for 

don't forget cannabis is a bit of a dynamic accumulator 

ps ... if you plan on doing heaps of mixing ... you can pick up a small electric cement mixer pretty cheap these days - would make your life way easier ... when ever i mix a match of soil, i dream of it. :)

Mmmmmm, you've set me to thinking. I've bought some fabric pots, some geopots; 1 big'un at 114 litres, a few 76 litres and a couple of 11 litre with a Velcro side closing as well as a couple of 56 litre pots from DNG so I've got quite a bit of soil to make. 

I've also got 3 raised beds I'd like to refurbish before spring.

The problem is I have no idea about mixers.

What is a good brand, how powerful a motor do I need etc etc.

I've had a quick google and initially this one took my fancy but it was too pricey.

https://www.ebay.com.au/p/200l-Portable-Cement-Concrete-Mixer-Electric-Construction-Sand-Gravel/25006145275

200 litres is a nice batch size particularly for the beds.

This one, however, probably makes more sense:

https://www.ebay.com.au/p/Baumr-AG-70l-Portable-Electric-Concrete-Mixer/1342396516?iid=380779598452

It would certainly be easier to handle and not that much extra work compared to bigger batches.

And then I looked at the reviews and it doesn't sound robust.

It seems as though some research is needed before I buy.

Bunnings prices are higher than I want to pay but I might call in to have a look at some anyway.

I do up to 60l batches in a wheelbarrow by hand.

Anything bigger gets the tarp and the shovel, can do big quantities easily enough. Flat concrete floor to lay on helps.

I can make space and mix on a tarp in my garage with a flat floor but I'm going to need at least a cubic metre if I fix up the beds as well as doing some pots.

That's why the mixer is tempting though my doctor would say I need the exercise.

Mmmmmm, you've set me to thinking. I've bought some fabric pots, some geopots; 1 big'un at 114 litres, a few 76 litres and a couple of 11 litre with a Velcro side closing as well as a couple of 56 litre pots from DNG so I've got quite a bit of soil to make. 

I've also got 3 raised beds I'd like to refurbish before spring.

The problem is I have no idea about mixers.

What is a good brand, how powerful a motor do I need etc etc.

I've had a quick google and initially this one took my fancy but it was too pricey.

https://www.ebay.com.au/p/200l-Portable-Cement-Concrete-Mixer-Electric-Construction-Sand-Gravel/25006145275

200 litres is a nice batch size particularly for the beds.

This one, however, probably makes more sense:

https://www.ebay.com.au/p/Baumr-AG-70l-Portable-Electric-Concrete-Mixer/1342396516?iid=380779598452

It would certainly be easier to handle and not that much extra work compared to bigger batches.

And then I looked at the reviews and it doesn't sound robust.

It seems as though some research is needed before I buy.

Bunnings prices are higher than I want to pay but I might call in to have a look at some anyway.

i reckon the 70l would be a good load - a bit easier to manage than the 200l. as the peat would be the only component with water, should hopefully be heaps lighter than concrete. i have no idea about quality either, but every time i mix (regardless of method and how many people help) ... i always wish for one of these.:) if you get lucky ... there might be one on sale under $200 with shipping - reckon the reviews will probably tell the story. :)

• Upvote 1