First try at a no dig soil mix

Looks good mate!

I'd break it all up if it's due a turn. Add air, and more surface area.

Won't do it any harm will it? Temp break up and will start again once aerated? Bokashi is good gear

I'll do it tomorrow morning, it is amazing how thick the fungus is and it's making the clumps rock hard.

Yes I'm very much taken with Bokashi. I'm adding it to my compost and worm farms as well now.

I might add some to the first mix to see if I can't get some mycorrhizal infection growing again.

I thought I might post a few photos of the plants in the no till soil. They seem to be happy, the cover crop certainly is. They have become a little leggy to get themselves above the cover crop.

2 plants in a 115 litre pot Barney's Farm Ayahuasca Purple and 00Seeds Caramel Kush

post-64867-0-25263300-1576490085_thumb.jpg

Barney's Farm Liberty Haze in a 76 litre pot

post-64867-0-47099100-1576490151_thumb.jpg

Barney's Farm Pink Kush in a 76 litre pot

post-64867-0-91622300-1576490190_thumb.jpg

Edited by ozraptorismine
  • Upvote 1

chop the cover crop back , chop & drop , barley straw over that , some of the cover crop will continue to grow through the straw 

I will do so soon though I was planning to chop, top dress with some new soil that will be ready in 2 weeks and then seed another cover crop to see me through to harvest. I made the batch these plants are in in May and grew a cover crop over winter. When I chopped it to ground level and covered it with brown mulch I got no regrowth.

Are you suggesting a partial chop, leaving 10cm? Currently the cover crop is about 40cm tall.

yes , plants like balance , the leaves above the ground support or photosynthesize enough for the root system below the ground & v a v

the root system below the ground takes up enough moisture to hydrate or transpire leaves above the ground 

when you chop the top , the leaf system can't support the root system below the ground so the plant will dump roots to bring it 

to some form of balance 

as you chop & drop above the ground the root system is doing the same below the surface , both feeding soil & nutrient cycling 

with dead/decaying roots & dead/decaying stems & leaves 

don't have to leave 100mm above the ground , just chop , what continues to grow , grows , what doesn't , doesn't

at some point your canna plant will most likely shade out the cover crop anyway 

plus cover crop seed is cheap enough to just throw in some more if needs be  

• Upvote 1

nice color mate 

you've got a few weeks to wait yet 

how has those barney's farm girls been for ya ?

I'm pretty happy with the way they are progressing. The other plants are three weeks into flowering so I'm not expecting to harvest until April sometime. I'll base it on tric colour.

I'll post some photos in the next couple of days, but the three BF plants will be much more productive than the 00Seeds caramel kush.