Growool alternative?

Hey all, I’m going to switch back to hydro from soil shortly and read about a product that was a great alternative to growool. Now I’m fucked if I can find it again!!?? Apparently it works in the same systems but was cheaper. I remember it looked kind of white like perlite or vermiculite but it was something all together different?? Any ideas what it was? I even looked on eBay at the time and found suppliers and remember it was a lot cheaper than Rockwool too.

try The Rootit plugs...I did 24 clones recently and got a 100% strike rate...something I never got with the rock wool blocks

http://www.propagateplants.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/NRS_Refill_Bag.png

I wonder if you're thinking about diatomite. I think it was branded under the Maidenwell label and possibly others. Though the only real similarity is the high silica content.

If you look at the basic properties of rockwool - It's innert, has a high starting pH and holds heaps of water. Alternatives with similar properties might be 100% vermiculite (holds lots of water, innert, no high pH :) ). Also that phytocell stuff (high water capacity, innert, very low starting pH :( ). Perhaps coco (dont use this shit) in that it has a high water capacity, pH??? the shits alive!!! not innert.

What is the appeal of rockwool? if you don't mind me asking.

EDIT #2 - If you want a cheap, innert and almost bullet proof medium then consider 100% perlite, holds much less water than rockwool which is a good thing IMO.

Could not agree with you more bro.... I use 1/3 vermiculite and 2/3s perlite. Had nuthin but fkn problems with coco shit. Lost 3 grows til I figured it out... 1st grow I did was straight perlite... 54oz outta 2 plants.. Was ocean pearl... Can't seem to track it down again...