Electrical cables

Im planning to run extension leads down to the back shed run a tent grow. I need to join a few togetjer to reach it, roughly 60metres. Do you think it will affect the equipment. I will be running 600watt hps 6 inch fan (200w)possibly more lights for a veg tent. Im going to tape and silicone joins for weatherproofing. For stealth it will be buried shallow. Mostly worried about the length, whats your thoughts/experience? Thanks

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

Biggest factor is the diameter of your wire in the extension leads... most cheapies are only using 1.0mmsquare wires which running anything more than low current will get real hot pretty quickly. If you're handy get some 2.5mm square 3 core wire and a male and female plug for either end and make your own extension lead.

• Upvote 1

That's how much voltage drop between point a n point b

A better idea would be to run bigger cable with no joins n a small distribution board at the end ,point b with a circuit breaker n a few power points

Better safe than sorry

Ok thanks micmac sounds a little complicated fir me to do and dont have the $to pay a spark to come do it. Might reconsider my options could possibly knock a soace together under the house where there are existong powerpoints but prob gonna look suss as fuck. Just moved here and sussing out my options. Thanks for the advice

Biggest factor is the diameter of your wire in the extension leads... most cheapies are only using 1.0mmsquare wires which running anything more than low current will get real hot pretty quickly. If you're handy get some 2.5mm square 3 core wire and a male and female plug for either end and make your own extension lead.

That sounds doable, could i do that still with 4mm cable?

4mm will be perfect with a little sub board n 32amp mcb/rcd combo breaker with a few power points..you could go 6mm but would be a overkill

thanks kalm might be a bit beyond me but will chat to a mate about it. Whats your thoughts on the male and female plig on a 4mm cable?