Stem borers?

That’s what I’m worried about..........4 weeks from harvest or some dumb shit like that.

Couple seasons back had a borer enter and exit within 100mm of each other. Fat bastard too. Holes the size of a biro. Made the top half of a main cola topple over........wrecked it for a 4 inch munch of my plant. Was dirty on that one I tell ya.

Edited by Try Blu

Yep looks like it's under attack ,internally or possibly roots

I know this sounds weird but,flick the stem with your fingernail ,u will hear n feel the difference from a healthy plant

If it sounds hollow it's not going to produce much

No mounds near your plants?

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

Moved us here. Hope you don’t mind. :)

I went out and flicked up and down. Sounds/feels pretty solid. Nothing out of the ordinary. The plant looks pretty good overall. Just the blistered look of the new growth........which I’m hoping is heat stress rather than an internal maggot/ maggots problem. lol.

Whats with the mounds? I’ve seen wasps taking leaf bugs down holes in the medium. No mounds though.

Found this on Dutch cannabis seeds.com.

There are different types of caterpillars that can attack your cannabis plants, so knowing what to be on the lookout for will help you prevent extensive damage to the plants. There are two critical types of caterpillars that pose the greatest danger and they are the hemp borer as well as the corn borer. These pests will feed on the centermost part of the cannabis plants’ stalk leading to the creation of holes within the stem. This ultimately causes weakening in the plant. So severe is this weakening that in plants which are adversely affected, it will often lead to collapsing of the plant.

Caterpillars can infest a cannabis plant                                                             

How many caterpillars can infest a cannabis plant and cause it to collapse? You would be amazed to learn that just a dozen larvae have the capacity to cause the plant to collapse. The perforations created by the corn borers on the stem are also just as devastating. The reason for this is that they create an opening for other pests that destroy the cannabis plants by sucking the all-so-important sap. The sap plays a critical role in the flourishing of the crop, so when it is eliminated from the plant it causes death. Hemp borers on the other hand, attack the flowering parts of the cannabis plant. Both types of caterpillars have a destructive effect on your cannabis crop, and for this reason, you need to get rid of them immediately.

How can you tell whether the caterpillars are present on your cannabis plants?

The sad bit when these caterpillars attack your plants is that you will often realize it when the damage is already done simply because they cause damage from the inside out. For this reason, you need to be extremely keen when inspecting your cannabis plants. Look out for tiny holes on the stem of the plants alongside trails that have a brown coloration. In fact if this is not present, look out for holes on the cannabis plants as these are the first indication that something is not right with your plants.

What is the ideal treatment for caterpillar-infested cannabis plants?

The only effective treatment plan for cannabis plants that have been infested by caterpillars is to cut the stem borers from the cannabis plants. This should allow the plant to rejuvenate and develop healthily. If this does not suffice, the other option would be to cut off the plant at the end of the brown trails. The advantage of this is that it gets rid of the pests completely, thus solving the problem and preventing extensive damage.

Interestingly, these cannabis pests love cannabis, making it difficult to manage in case of severe infestation. If you are interested in going the natural way, how about making available parasitic wasps to help you eliminate the pests completely. The advantage of using this method is that more often than not, the wasps will appear naturally when they sense the presence of the caterpillars. The wasps will often lay eggs on the bodies of the caterpillars, and when these eggs hatch, the caterpillar provides nutrition for the pupae, thus effectively getting rid of the annoying pests.

Posted in: Cannabis News

• Upvote 2

Cheers brick,

Missed your reply until just now.

I’m no stranger to caterpillars unfortunately, like most here I guess.

Good tip on the wasps.

I damaged the stem through laziness. Invited trouble and dropped the ball by not keeping a close enough eye on it. Cleaned the area with dr.bronners, a tooth brush and air dry. It’s a wound. Kicking myself. Needs further investigation.

I’m thinking I need to split the stem for a look.

• Upvote 2

Cheers brick,

Missed your reply until just now.

I’m no stranger to caterpillars unfortunately, like most here I guess.

Good tip on the wasps.

I damaged the stem through laziness. Invited trouble and dropped the ball by not keeping a close enough eye on it. Cleaned the area with dr.bronners, a tooth brush and air dry. It’s a wound. Kicking myself. Needs further investigation.

I’m thinking I need to split the stem for a look.

Split down the middle, the will live but open it up to helps of disease as open stem cells

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app