Clones

G'day everyone i just found this page and joined about 10 minutes ago. Cut 2 lower pieces off one of my frisian dew plants about 5 days ago and dipped them in powder, than poked them in some potting mix. They were wilted and looked dead until yesterday when i noticed one standing up. Just noticed the other one wanting to do the same.

Wasn't expecting it to work, was more of a muck around as i've never done clones and didn't do much research. Here's a pic of yesterday and then today. Cheers

post-64728-0-52867800-1546893988_thumb.jpg

post-64728-0-70286700-1546894016_thumb.jpg

I’ve noticed some growers cut the tips off the fan leaves when they take cuttings & are waiting for roots, does anyone know the science on this method?

They look good to me mate, depending on the environment I usually keep my clones in a cloning tray and on top of a heat mat. I also spray the inside of the clone dome to keep the humidity up...

Sent from my iPhone using OZ Stoners

I’ve noticed some growers cut the tips off the fan leaves when they take cuttings & are waiting for roots, does anyone know the science on this method?

They look good to me mate, depending on the environment I usually keep my clones in a cloning tray and on top of a heat mat. I also spray the inside of the clone dome to keep the humidity up...

Sent from my iPhone using OZ Stoners

I believe it is too stop so much transpiration off the top of my head

Keeps moisture in the plant longer to help root growth rather than leaf

Edited by bakedcake
  • Upvote 2

1+ Baked for the correct answer. Transpiration(water loss), the cutting loses less water while it forms a corm(looks like a white spongy formation) and roots through the corm to sustain itself as an individual plant.

Rose cuttings are striped completely of any growth initially, with a slice taken from one or both sides of the base to expose more Cambium layer. They look quite funny, just sticks in the ground.

Edited by ZEN2U
  • Upvote 2