can 110V light bulb go to Aus 240V socket?

I would like to buy an Illuminati SG Night light (true green light) for use during dark period.

The only ones I can find are all located overseas and described as 110V screw in.

I recently bought some Phillips son-t and the boxes said that they are 110-240v, various  sources give Son-T info as the lamp being 100v and "voltage" 230V (which thoroughly confuses me).

So the question is... will the 110V lights be ok in 240 socket or will they explode or something diabolical happen? :helpsmilie:

Which country is it coming from?

Some Asian countries run on 110v. Many years ago I used to work for a company that is now part of Electrolux group and we made appliances that were for a fixed voltage of 110v for export to Asia 

If it says 110-240v, there maybe a physical switch to switch between the two. There may also be an automatic internal switch or transformer.

BUT if it says 110v only, DO NOT be plugging it into 240v, it may explode.

Some bulbs work on a lower voltage via the ballasts, but the bulb and ballast MUST be compatible and although the input voltage for Oz is 240v, the output voltage maybe 110v

IT MUST SAY INPUT VOLTAGE 240V somewhere to be used in Oz.

The Son-T is the one that said 110-240 and is just a 600W HPS but the illuminati is the green one  and they are described as  100V.

I want that particular light if possible because tests have shown that it is the only true green spectrum light and therefore plants would be able to detect other lights that to us appear green but are not true green (partially in another spectrum).

The only sellers for the green light seem to be in the US and describe it as "fitting any household socket" but here in OZ our voltage is higher and generally not screw in fittings either (but can soon sort out the fittings)

I want the light just to be able to check on things during the dark period because if Ive had to go away for the day I would be back after lights out and as they are in an outbuilding I would like to check that everything is ok when I get home.

Just grow Autos on 24 hour lighting..ha...ha.

Fluro's are controlled by the Ballast.

Basically the ballast pulses a high voltage to Ionize the Gas then it controls the current from there on.

So it's go nothing to do with the Bulb...You need to find the Specs on the Input Voltage and frequency specs of the controlling Ballist

Unless it's an all in one assembly..If that's the case then I'm willing to bet it will work, not withstanding the socket difference

You can buy a adapter, US to Au socket if the fitting has a US socket plug. Cheap as chips.

I honestly don't know what you are worried about. There are heaps of appliances around that are rated 110-240V input. This is probably to do with manufacturing 1 appliance to cover all counties, the only difference is they have to change a wall plug instead of the whole appliance between countries or the bulb is designed to cover all countries. Makes sense to lower manufacturing costs with only 1 manufacturing line.

If the bulb is rated 110-240V then it is safe to use the bulb in a 240V appliance. If it were not then there would be NO mention of 240V on the box for legal reasons.

Edited by ZEN2U