Had a gutsfull of coco

I think the biggest thing that deters me from coco is common sense. Like you said, it ain't inner but sits on the shelf posing as a hydro medium. Just like other organic mediums, it could well come pre packed with pythium, fusarium, nutes, etc. The shit is also heavy and double the price of good old fassion perlite (my fave). It also grabs nutes due to the CEC which makes flushing harder.

Alternatives imo would be vermiculite or Rockwood in that they have high moisture retention. Shit, I'd fill a pot with coke bottle lids and grow in that before coco.

As a plus, coco blend into the garden well for easy disposal. I got no other pro's for ya :)

I think a big pro it has going for it is ease of use, especially for beginners and your general public due to it's ability to buffer things like temperature, and if using appropriate pots watering can be done days apart by hand. You do bring up a good point about flushing, and coirs ability to retain nutrients and a much larger flush at the end would be needed, but perlite for example due to it's nature and how it is packaged and transported creates a lot of fine dust that needs large flushs to remove as well. In terms of it's weight coir itself is light, but it can get heavy when saturated due to it's ability to retain moisture.

I don't think one or the other is better they all have there places, i just feel like you are making it out to be a whole lot worse than it is. if it was as bad as you say, would it be adopted by commercial veg growers so much?

It is great for the ground outside especially sandy soil ! 

Edited by Frank Reynolds

I think a big pro it has going for it is ease of use, especially for beginners and your general public due to it's ability to buffer things like temperature, and if using appropriate pots watering can be done days apart by hand. You do bring up a good point about flushing, and coirs ability to retain nutrients and a much larger flush at the end would be needed, but perlite for example due to it's nature and how it is packaged and transported creates a lot of fine dust that needs large flushs to remove as well. In terms of it's weight coir itself is light, but it can get heavy when saturated due to it's ability to retain moisture.

I don't think one or the other is better they all have there places, i just feel like you are making it out to be a whole lot worse than it is. if it was as bad as you say, would it be adopted by commercial veg growers so much?

It is great for the ground outside especially sandy soil !

He’s probably fucked up a grow with it and now he hates it.

Poor workman blames his tools. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

C'mon porky. Would you grow in a organic, trash product with no nutrients or beneficials? I'd use your soil any day over coco.

Now I’m indoors I’m going to try coco and perlite and dwc just to see what happens.

This is just like the light debate. Unless you have used both or have seen personally the results of both your opinion is worth fuck all.

Have you used coco coops??

C'mon porky. Would you grow in a organic, trash product with no nutrients or beneficials? I'd use your soil any day over coco.

Actually coco coir, has potassium and sodium, also naturally occuring trichoderma which is a very aggresive genus of fungi that protect roots against soil borne diseases.

Again not saying other methods are bad or inferior, you guys are obviously having good results.

I no fan of coco, or perlite, but put them together they work alright, 50/50 is the go ?, me dirt pot grows were much better

perlite is a tnuc to get rid of

don't think I've really been happy with any of the coco or perlite grows I've done, mixed together or not, for various reasons, been 2/3 seasons now

only using it, because I'm a old tnuc and the 30-50l dirt pots were getting a bit heavy, and its easy I suppose

can't really run Areo outside, don't like rockwool anymore, doesn't really leave much 

not sure i'll use it again after this season (probably)

Coco is good , you just buy ur bag and mix with perlite ,you will be set . Use a fabric pot and rase it of the ground for run off . Water about every 2-3 days and I’m good , flush about 2 weeks till chop . My first grow was tnuc because I went with Bunnings coco and though it’s ready for use straight after rehydrating .

Sent from my iPhone using OZ Stoners

Well f me, that's a bit sensible porky. I'm sad to say that you hit me with both barrels. My only grow in coco was a khat plant, outside. I should shut the fuck up at this point but I'm not smart enough to do so. It was the customers and there endless problems that put me off coco, the mix of hydro and organics introduced a whole range of must have snake oils which shaft me to tears.

I'm glad your having a crack with the hydro stuff. It's super easy and you should be able to rock through with ease.

Maybe someone can explain why coco is so popular, IMO it's like maccas.

The customers. So you work in a hydro a coops.

That explains everything. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]