PH Swing

Just wondering what everyone else does here. Im in coco and always read 5.8 is optimal. Sometimes I mix up and put too little or too much pH down so get readings of anywhere between 5.5 and 6.5.

I know it's important and have seen the graphs at what pH levels certain nutes get absorbed by the plant but do people feed at varying levels between 5.5 and 6.5 or always important to aim for the 5.8

Eg.typical scenerio, MLG has a 45 litre tub which he's just filled. Puts too much pH down and its sitting at 5.5. Leave as is or pour some out and try to get to 5.8? On the opposite, sitting at 6.4, ok as is or must add more pH down?

MLG

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

• Upvote 1

My plants look better if I let the ph swing.

5.5 to 6.2 for me. Seedlings are fed a little sweeter for a couple of weeks.

If I want to raise the res ph from too much acidity I’ll throw in some seasol, or silica to raise ph a few points.

Careful with silica as some of the stronger brands need pre mixing before adding to nute solution.

Thanks TB. I'm not in DWC but have some pumps from my container connected to halos for auto feeding. Today I measured at 5.7 and over the next few days it'll creep up. Just curious about how important that magic 5.8ph really is. I've read ppl also prefer to keep it a bit higher during flower.

• Upvote 1

you could always put some PH up in if you take it to low.

I assume you are mixing all your nutes in then letting it sit for a bit before checking the PH ?

With my nutes, got a 45 litre box with a pump going 24x7 just to keep the nutes mixed up. I always wait at least 12hrs before checking so all good there I think.

I like 6.1 but ill let it land anywhere from 5.5-6.5 I'd rather not add ph down if I can get away with it. The order in which you put your nutes and that in can make a difference to your ph too. Tell us what u put in and what order and maybe we can steer ya right.

Hey papa, never heard of the order being important but I'll try to read up on it. Normally I'll aim for a certain ppm. In go additives like calmag, crystalic, and pk heavy depending on what stage the plant is up too. Then I'll add the h&g nutes to get it up to where I want it to be. Then, wait at least 12 hrs then test pH.

Yeah different stuff affects ph differently. Sounds fine to me though mate. What sorta water you using.

Hey papa, never heard of the order being important but I'll try to read up on it. Normally I'll aim for a certain ppm. In go additives like calmag, crystalic, and pk heavy depending on what stage the plant is up too. Then I'll add the h&g nutes to get it up to where I want it to be. Then, wait at least 12 hrs then test pH.

You're onto it mate. Wish my tap was 100 haha. 200 isn't so bad tho. Only thing I can think of is that your nutes aren't as ph stable as they could be.

I'm. Using straight tap water and that's not going to change. About 100pp out of the tap and yes I let it sit for a while with the pump going to release the chlorine.

Edited by papasmurf999