Oxine Sterilisation for Hydroponics Resevoirs

vek618

just found something that might be of interest to others as it is to me.... and now you're telling me what I should be doing? FAAARKKK! you sound like my fukken ex girlfriend! you 2 should get married... Mr & Mrs Grinch  lol  lol  lol ......let me know i can send you her number  :afro:  

Fuck me..,, just go back to basics, KIS theory [emoji106] [emoji108]

[edit] so sorry mate... didn't mean to assume you were heterosexual, fukken so rude of me... maybe you can marry porky... it's legal nowemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

Edited by vek618

here's what ol' mate said about Oxine in hydroponics....

"I'm a commercial and LICENSED grower and I'll be happy to offer some advice that has been thoroughly researched with much scientific data to back it up, along with a lot of experience and success to back up my claims.

First, stay away from bleach, pool shock, and the ever common H2O2 (Hydrogen Peroxide). Simply, these chemicals can stunt your plant and root growth and potentially KILL your plants.

So, what works? If you do want to run a sterile system, the safest and strongest method is CHLORINE DIOXIDE. The formula I buy online is via Amazon is called "Oxine", however several other companies sale this with various names. This is simply an amazing product. If running a sterile system the manufacutere recommends 20 fl.oz of Oxine activated with 60 grams of citric acid. (Remember to wear a chlorine air respirator)

So Why is this the BEST of the best?

-It's OMRI (Organic Materials Research Institute) listed.

-It's safe in it's un-activated formula. It's being used today to treat water. You can actually add it to your drinking water right from the bottle to disinfect and kill any harmful bacteria/etc. in your water or your cattle/dogs/pool water etc. Farms use it to not only deodorize their chicken coops, horse stalls, etc. it's actually used to treat horses with severe infections such as Thrush. Chickens have it sprayed in their faces for several days to rid them of sever respiratory issues that would usually kill them. Some people use it in a diluted formula to spray their shoes to get rid of the stink and athletes foot and other weird oders in their homes. Another bizzare thing I found is that people actually drink the stuff to kill off PARASITES in their bodies, which works too. The things that came out of these people were terrifying.....

-It's stronger than the bleach. Oxine is already a very strong product however between every harvest I throw on a gas mask and a painters suit and completely sanitize my growing areas using an ACTIVATED Oxine/Chlorine Dioxide. spraying the buckets, fans , walls and trellises. Currently this is the only time I ever use Oxine however in the past this was what I used to keep a STERILE system. It has been shown to kill all forms of fungi (Yes it kills powder mildew spores*) bacteria, and even Ecoli. The results are that I haven't had to treat my plants for powder mildew in over a year, however I have also kept lower than 50% humidity levels as well. You don't need to activate Oxine, and when you don't it lasts longer in your reservoir. (Note: To activate Chlorine Dioxide you add Citric Acid)

-It's cheaper than H2O2. A bottle of Oxine is cheaper and will stretch allot further than a bottle of H2O2. After a year of constant use I still have quite a bit of Oxine left and it's quite a big facility.

-It breaks down into table salt. Simply, as it degrades over time it breaks down into harmless table salt.

-It's currently approved and used for spray on leave in commercial agriculture. This simply means that many companies are using this to clean and sanitize your fruits and vegetables because it can kill things such as E coli while breaking down into table salt. I haven't tried it yet on powder mildew since it has been forever since I had any, but it may possibly work.

-It's simply the best and most effective sanitizer. It's what is being used at a commercial scale because it works the BEST."

Yeah I guess that’s cool but here is a big part that stands out to me “If running a sterile system the manufacutere recommends 20 fl.oz of Oxine activated with 60 grams of citric acid. (Remember to wear a chlorine air respirator)” that’s cool wtf are you mixing that too? or is that just recommended dose. Like I say though buy it and give it a shot, you could run it on something inexpensive to test like tomatoes or strawberries?

Also in terms the whole thing sounds a bit sales gimickish to me as well as saying it reduces to table salt. If you opened you res and started tipping in table salt do you think your plants would like it? To me I am in two minds for the reason of salt killing plants, I have done cunty things to people’s lawns with a bag of salt and fucked it up, and killing trees etc. However I also know in Korean Natural Farming that you can use an application of sea water or fermented sea water.

So again I don’t know haha

Plant Use:

To sweeten fruits. WS-Ca is added to diluted seawater and then the solution is sprayed twice in one month and then 20 days before harvest.

Source: http://cgnfindia.com/sw.html

Edited by bakedcake

i didn't find ol' mates rundown of oxine "gimmickish" maybe you found it to be because it's out of context... he was replying to another guy who wanted to run a sterile res and gave him his experience of using it. he actually advised the guy to use compost teas to get rid of his root rot but i didn't want to add this to be a debate on running a sterile res or using bio-organics.... regardless, i posted this stuff out of interest and that other ppl may find it interesting also, rather than "this is going to be my next move" if i decide that running a sterile res is the best way to grow then i will seriously consider using it after a bit more research. 

Yeah I guess that’s cool but here is a big part that stands out to me “If running a sterile system the manufacutere recommends 20 fl.oz of Oxine activated with 60 grams of citric acid. (Remember to wear a chlorine air respirator)” that’s cool wtf are you mixing that too? or is that just recommended dose. Like I say though buy it and give it a shot, you could run it on something inexpensive to test like tomatoes or strawberries?

Also in terms the whole thing sounds a bit sales gimickish to me as well as saying it reduces to table salt. If you opened you res and started tipping in table salt do you think your plants would like it? To me I am in two minds for the reason of salt killing plants, I have done cunty things to people’s lawns with a bag of salt and fucked it up, and killing trees etc. However I also know in Korean Natural Farming that you can use an application of sea water or fermented sea water.
So again I don’t know haha

Plant Use:
To sweeten fruits. WS-Ca is added to diluted seawater and then the solution is sprayed twice in one month and then 20 days before harvest.

Source: http://cgnfindia.com/sw.html

quote: "The common salt left behind as a by-product of the oxidation process is of low toxicity and can easily be monitored and removed from the system should they ever built up to unwanted levels. In hydroponic systems these levels are usually negligible provided there is not an elevated content of sodium already present int he water supply."

quote: "You don't need to activate Oxine, and when you don't it lasts longer in your reservoir."

Edited by vek618

In the early days I use to remove the build up after a run with warm soapy water. Soak for a bit, grab a length butcher's twine and tie a ball of green scouring pad on the end of it and pull it through. Scrub the external parts with a scrubbing brush and rinse it all in fresh water.

Later on when I CBF'd with that routine I'd just setup again with new plumbing. A 4 bucket setup would only cost about $30 to replace.