anyone using Teco HY 150/500/1000 series water chillers?e

vek618

hi all. 2nd indoor grow and first time hydro doing an r-dwc bucket scrog.

post-64284-0-19963100-1540074792_thumb.jpg

been looking to upgrade my chiller as the one i've been using over the cooler months isn't cutting the mustard with the warmer weather coming on... summer comes fast but even faster it seems when your growing hydroponically! 

research so far tells me that the Teco chillers although dear as phuk are the crack for both performance, reliability and power usage. I'm running about 50lts atm in an uninsulated res and can't keep the temps under 21 deg cel the last week or so and the leaves on the colas have been cupping and edges of leaves seem to be a little brittle. 

post-64284-0-56832800-1540074796_thumb.jpg

not sure what is causing this whether it is nutes (read that it could to excess N), humidity, temp in both room and res but reading that res temps are more critical than room temps to a degree. at 5th week of flower using AN ph perfect 3 part @ 3/4 strength, GH kool bloom liquid @ 2.5ml per ltr, biodiesel guano bloom @ 4ml per ltr with total ppm @ 1100 to 1200. room temp 25 > 33deg cel, humidity 50 > 65% and rez water temp 20 > 25deg cel. also just backed off the HLG 260 v2 quantum boards wondering if it is to do with too much light... quantum boards rock!

I'm in the process of another build, r-dwc 36site sog which will hold maybe up to 120lts, maybe tad more but everything will be 100% insulated, res, root chamber, pipes and hoses etc. the Teco TK 150 for aquariums is said to do a fantastic job of cooling and keeping 150lts or less between 18 and 21 deg cel so i would assume the HY 150 for hydroponics with the same ltr rating is going to do the some job.

anyway, interested to hear from anyone with experience using a teco and maybe some info on why the leaves around colas are cupping and hooking down and some hooking up.

• Upvote 1

Cant comment on the chiller as I haven't used one yet mate. Could be a bit cal mag deficient? Maybe got a little bit too hot in there aswell, I'd probably look into the chiller pretty asap, risk some root rot around those temps I think man. See if you can stablize the temps of water and the environment man. But cal mag is a must with led.

I wouldnt think the lights too close but that could be strain dependant. I've got mine about 10-15" above the canopy atm

i've raised the qb's from 12 to 20inches just in case

Cant comment on the chiller as I haven't used one yet mate. Could be a bit cal mag deficient? Maybe got a little bit too hot in there aswell, I'd probably look into the chiller pretty asap, risk some root rot around those temps I think man. See if you can stablize the temps of water and the environment man. But cal mag is a must with led.

haven't used calmag yet and had no issues in veg tho read that it could be calmag so dropped in a ml per litre a few days ago... see how that goes.

you might be right about the temps and have been looking at modifying a portable a/c from single hose to dual and placing it outside the tent but reading an article on the tecos and that you can go without a/c as long as your water temp at roots is in the 18>21 deg zone. it would make sense to me that as long as room temps are similar to outdoor temps and not over the top 38>40deg+ that if the roots are in the 18>21deg range shouldn't be an issue.

anyway going to pull the trigger on the teco HY-150.... and @ only $899.oo it's an phuking bargain!  :cray: haha

Nice man, I wish I had the spare cash to go rdwc, maybe next year. Yeah I use cal mag right the way through. Although I got some advice recently to drop it through weeks 4&5, apparently the leaves Wil yellow a bit but you get bigger buds. Im gunna give it a try see what happens. I just grotek calmag 2-0-0 at about 1ml/l use it from about 3 weeks old in veg right through until I start flush.

Yeah i did some shopping around few months ago and I can build an 8 site setup for about $600, but if it's anything like my normal diy efforts will cost me twice that wh3n I fuck it all up lol, I really like the look of the cch20 undercurrent systems, so clean and sterile

got out of my rdwc system for under $270 including $120 chiller from ebay.... that is UNTIL the phuking heat comes and then the humidity too...

Yeah i did some shopping around few months ago and I can build an 8 site setup for about $600, but if it's anything like my normal diy efforts will cost me twice that wh3n I fuck it all up lol, I really like the look of the cch20 undercurrent systems, so clean and sterile

i was looking at the nutrimist systems but i'm not into foggers and didn't' have the specs i was after i.e. rdwc and the sizes don't fit my tent anyway... 

Have u looked at the cch20? They're amazing

had a bit of a squiz when you mentioned it the other day in another thread but just had a look at the 6 site system in your wish list on youtube... they look good just not to my specs as i'm after very specific specs i.e. 90cm x 90cm/36 or 25 sites sog r-dwc and i would be more inclined to make my own (which am in the process of) and save some cash for the big ticket items that i can't diy like the teco water chiller. if i can't get my new build ready before my current grow is finished in 4 or 5 weeks i'll just do a soil/coco sog grow in 15cm pots giving me my 6 x 6 sites...