Damping off

Hey i just switched to coco and im using coco nutrients aswell

I just had a failed germination due to damping off i grow outside so mother nature is slinging down rain.

I reused a pot.

Now after saying all this i realised where i had stuffed up.

It was a reused pot not sanitized, it cold and wet perfect mold weather.

And it was copping dripping water from the guttering on the outdoor area.

Now the reason im not sprouting beans inside is i have none of the room at all to fit a grow box in a cupboard or closet.

I guess im just having a big old complain that my strong little tap rooted seedling went to hell.

The taproot was deep green from the word go and got to two inches pushing out finer roots.

Then DAMPING OFF.

Almost shed the shell and all lol.

Im new at geowing beans and plants, but im old hat at horticulture.

Coming into this is giving me a huge curve ball about the do and dont of growing these beautiful plants.

Any advice would be great, or pointers.

So far ive digested a grow bible and hours of youtube videos, and so tips off another guy i know.

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

• Upvote 1

You'll be right mate. Get some coco jiffy pucks mate. Soak ya seeds in warm not hot water in a shot glass for 24 hours or so, Soak jiffy pucks in some light nutrient solution like 1/8th of full dose for about 10 mins. Sorta gently squeeze out excess water without disturbing Puck. Put them all on a tray or a plate or whatever. Put them in a warm spot in ya house. Wait for them to pop, don't add any water unless the top of the coco looks light brown. Leave them alone should pop 3-10 days.

Once they have their heads above ground chuck em on a sunny window sill u till the roots grow out the bottom of the pucks.

• Upvote 1

You'll be right mate. Get some coco jiffy pucks mate. Soak ya seeds in warm not hot water in a shot glass for 24 hours or so, Soak jiffy pucks in some light nutrient solution like 1/8th of full dose for about 10 mins. Sorta gently squeeze out excess water without disturbing Puck. Put them all on a tray or a plate or whatever. Put them in a warm spot in ya house. Wait for them to pop, don't add any water unless the top of the coco looks light brown. Leave them alone should pop 3-10 days.

Once they have their heads above ground chuck em on a sunny window sill u till the roots grow out the bottom of the pucks.

Thanks papa ill give that a go

Coco supposed to have a lot more oxygen available when fully saturated over soil.

I guess if it gets the water too regularly, it's still too wet.

I'm no expert but I have less of these problems now. Less is more, always easier to make it wetter. I try to grow on the dryer side of the line.

I did fuck one up recently in soil. Had a good cover crop of clover in, seedling hidden in plain view.

Clover uses a bit of water. Also keeps the soil line wetter.

Fucked the seedling at the soil line due to water adding frequently. Pot was light.

Could happen in any media I reckon.

Might just be the cold man

I think it may have been the cold too because we had all this lovely warm hot weather and then suddenly it’s going to rain for a week here in Brisbane and the temps outside are anywhere from 14 to 18 at night then 21 to 27 during the day ......

And it’s at this moment I should’ve just allocated the damn room and got a small grow tent or cupboard.

Don’t worry I popped a few beans in soil and that went to shit as well not enough air in the soil and then it compacted then alllllll the bugs attacked.

I grow other vegetables to and had to fight bloody spider mites on Lima beans like holy cow.

Oh well the life of a gardener ey guys

• Upvote 1