Spent brewing grains

hey nici

i have heard of people using spent grains , also heard of guys using not used malted rye seed in flower

my first thought was put it in the worm farm or compost bin & if you've got fresh / un-used rye , top dress

ya pots in flower with a rye powder

i use malted barley seed made to a powder & top dressed or added to water as a soil drench

i'm not a home brewer & they aren't used grains , i use them for the enzyme content

as i said i'm not a home brewer , you guys are chasing enzymes as well but only a couple

or a few of them from memory , my understanding is barley can have quite a high enzyme count

which is the reason i & many others use them

here's a bit from Clackamascoot the first person i seen suggest using malted grains for plants

Malted Barley / Sprouted Seed Tea Explained:

Enzymes are catalysts the effect specific biological functions in humans, animals and plants.

You can toss in fungi, bacteria, et al. in this discussion. For example vermicompost is a function

of the enzymes in composting worms. The bacterial slime that worms ingest are converted to

worm castings in the worm's digestive tract. Worms also exude specific enzymes into the food

stock to trigger specific responses from microbes. A partnership if you will.

Almost every seed contains a range of shared enzymes - Amylase, Urease, Phosphatase,

Chitinase, Protease, et al. Seed germination is 100% a function of enzymes having absolutely

nothing to do with NPK or any other element. Seeds are encoded with these enzymes from the

mother plant.

When we germinate a seed these enzymes are activated and other enzymes are altered by the

seed itself from germination-inhibitors to ones that will insure the viability of the seedlings.

Where the differences come are the levels of specific enzymes and I'll use barley seeds as an

example because there is a plethora of information from beer brewers, distillers (barley is what

makes Scotch whiskey for example). Barley seeds contain a-amylase and b-amalyse which are

enzyme that catalyses the hydrolysis of starch into sugars.

Enzymes are specific to a given function, in other words Urease has no effect on Chitin, Protein

or Phosphorus which need Chitinase, Protease and Phosphatase for that function.

it's possible that you could get the wrong bugs but i don't think you would unless you over used it & things went anaerobic

i water with malted barley powder sometimes & have only had the composter bugs turn up to consume the wet seed bits that

end up on top as a top dress

in general top dressing is allot more forgiving than liquid feeds or adding to a soil mix , which is how i use malted barley most of the time , ground up as a top dress

cool , barley in veg & barley / rye in flower

as far as barley go's you want 6 row pilsner barley

pilsner cos from memory it's the least heated in the malting process

2 row will work as well , i've ordered this B4 because it was produced organically

https://www.craftbrewer.com.au/pilsener-malt-organic-weyermann-organic

Hey Guys

Hope you don't mind me jumping on board your thread!

Im really keen on no-til gardening. I've been researching for at least 6 months now and I'm at a stage where I just need to start getting my hands dirty and learn.

Itchy, I've read plenty of your posts and really appreciate all of the knowledge that you share on here. I was hoping I could pick your brain, while you are talking about the subject?

I'm trying to source my amendments locally first and I'm not quite sure what to buy, in terms of malted barley? I'm planning to go to a brew shop, but not sure what to ask for, exactly? What do you recommend?

Cheers

Hey Guys

Hope you don't mind me jumping on board your thread!

Im really keen on no-til gardening. I've been researching for at least 6 months now and I'm at a stage where I just need to start getting my hands dirty and learn.

Itchy, I've read plenty of your posts and really appreciate all of the knowledge that you share on here. I was hoping I could pick your brain, while you are talking about the subject?

I'm trying to source my amendments locally first and I'm not quite sure what to buy, in terms of malted barley? I'm planning to go to a brew shop, but not sure what to ask for, exactly? What do you recommend?

Cheers

places like Dr Greenthumbs https://www.drgreenthumbs.com.au/ 

& Organic Gardening Solutions https://www.organicgardeningsolutions.com.au/

should be able to help with most things 

you can go on the hunt & prob fine things a lill cheaper but for convenience those 2 are easiest 

TasKelp http://taskelp.com/kelp-meal-for-agriculture-fertilizer/ is where i get kelp meal from , 20kg bag at a time which lasts a while , & by having a large 

amount you can play round a bit & use it in compost making or teas or whatever , not just in a soil mix  

i've got malted barley from here https://www.craftbrewer.com.au/ cos they had organically grown barley 

but it was 2 row & not 6 row which is preferred , also used Grain & Grape https://www.grainandgrape.com.au/products/category

basically you want , as i said above , 6 row pilsner malted barley or you can pop in to a animal feed store & buy barley seed 

can also get them from Eden Seeds https://www.edenseeds.com.au/?name=Product-Info-Seeds&product=barley

take 1 oz of seed per 10lts water & make seed sprout tea , sprout the seed , when the tap root is as long as the seed itself 

you blend & add to the 10lts water & water ya plants , that would save you having to talk to the brewing dudes & add a lill 

extra work with having to sprout them , malted barley has already been sprouted 

use Ebay for Neem Cake & crab meal has been the only thing i had to grab from OS  

hope that helps & happy to answer any Q's you have if i can , don't be shy 

good luck urban

• Upvote 1

forgot , malted barley & malting process , the barley seed is sprouted & then stopped by heat to trap enzymes 

you want the least heated in the malting process , pilsner generally fits that bill , darker the seed more heat was used 

& lower enzyme count , giving the brewer a diff flav when there used to brew beer 

you want the least heated & highest enzyme count seed 

Edited by itchybromusic