Research on Variations in Cannabis Experiences

Hello,

Have you ever had a mind-bending experience when high on cannabis (marijuana, weed, pot), or a “bad trip” where you went through anxiety, distress, and felt disconnected from reality? We are researchers at the University of Wollongong (NSW, Australia; School of Psychology) investigating the psychological factors (such as personality, motives, and mood) involved in shaping the subjective experiences people have when they use cannabis. We apologise if this message comes across as spam and hope it will not deter you from taking a moment to consider our research. 

We are seeking voluntary responses for our online study, which may be accessed along with more details at (spam removed). It will take about 40-45 minutes to complete. Your input and sincere responses will be invaluable to our research. Among other things, your responses will contribute to a more objective understanding of cannabis’ effects beyond how it has thus far been portrayed in the media. Thank you very much for taking the time to consider and/or circulate our study.

• Downvote 2

All about securing government funding, and the only a way to do that is to pursue any of the negative aspects of Cannabis. Whether there be any truth to it, or not.

So you might have to excuse me of being tired of your BS studies, and any other organisation that goes about securing government funding in a similar manner.

How about trying to do it without any bias, or the pursuit of Gov funding. Pretty sure UoW would drop the topic like a hot spud if the $$$ weren't up for offer.

Edited by Indycar
  • Upvote 3

Hey ........... and Indy,

I agree wholeheartedly with both of your statements.

I have just now sent off this email to the research team.

To Whom it may concern,

I have just seen a message posted on an Australia cannabis site asking for individuals who have 'experienced a mind-bending' or a 'bad trip' to be part of your research. I clearly understand that your funding is via government but as other countries around the world have researched and discovered rather than taking the negative approach, which you already have, simply by the wording of your statement, there is far more benefit in taking a more holistic approach to the subject of cannabis use.
Another of your 'research' team (Prof Jan Copeland) has already made it very clear that the only view being researched by UoW is one of negativity. It is my belief that this negativity is now very outdated view by many nations and it is about time that both the university and the funding body associated reassess their focus from the negative aspect of cannabis to the beneficial properties contained within the cannabis plant. 
As a medical consumer myself I find your statements and approach in conducting your research already has a predetermined outcome, being one of negativity and due to this I will not be participating in such a badly slanted research platform.

Your sincerely 
Merl

Let's see if I get a response

Merl1n

Edited by merl1n
  • Upvote 10

And their response:-

Dear Merl,

Thank you for your email. In our study we are looking at the factors which modify intoxication experiences for recreational users of cannabis. We understand and sincerely apologise that the way we have framed our post has caused you some distress. We will do our best to be as sensitive as possible to the different populations of individuals who use cannabis when we word our posts in future. Thank you again for putting the time and thought into composing an email on behalf of the population of medical users.

Warm regards,
Maryann

• Upvote 2