Coir seedling advice

Hi 

First time grower here.

Built a 1m by 1m cupboard.  

Sprouted 16 seedlings and put them in small pots with coco coir.  I think I overwatered them as most of them have died.

Using an Optic Sun 2 LED 210W - Not a huge light but should be ok for small size I have?

My question is how often should I water seedlings for their first week or so when they are in coir.  Water seems to drain through the coir pretty well.

I see others saying only water every 2 days or so but they are talking about organic soil.  Is it the same for coir?

I was watering once a day.

Also I think my light was too far away as the sprouts were quite leggy.

I may invest in a CFL fluoro and try again using a seedling box with the plastic dome lid.

Interesting first week.  Lots to learn.

Any advice welcome.

water coir once when planting seed, water again after seedling has sprouted... 

no need to over-saturate the coir for the first weeks, there is no way one seedling could use all that water

water maybe once per week for the first few weeks, all dependent on how big the seedlings are

and

16 seedling with a 1x1 closet? Daym that is a lot.

Stoned Jester is the small space expert around here, have a read of his grows

https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/topic/79523-jesters-grow/

https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/topic/80245-jesters-next-grow-c99-x-hk/

Edited by Matanuska Thunder
  • Upvote 2

I grow in a vermiculite and coir mix. Depending on the weather and strain, it’s normally every 2 days. For the first couple weeks, it’s always better to give less than more is your unsure. The easiest way is to buy a moisture tester. Put it in about an inch deep and when it hits the red, give it a water.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/gardman-soil-moisture-meter_p2961033

Awesome, thanks guys.

I ended up with 16 sprouts as I do not have feminised seeds.  So I planted all the seeds I had.  Was not sure what sort of a success rate I would have with sprouting.  Ended up with 100% sprouting.

My plan was to get about 8-10 big enough to determine sex then choose the healthiest 2-3 females and pull the rest.

I agree that trying to grow 16 full size in a 1m x 1m x 2m closet would be crazy.

I think 2 plants with a scrog setup is my aim.

Have been too paranoid to buy seeds so end up using those I have collected from bags of weed.  I realise this is not the best way.

How do people avoid the concern of Law enforcement discovering your seed delivery if you buy from a seed bank?  Or is this not a concern?

When watering, every 2/3 days. Only a very small amount and make the circles bigger each time so the roots go out searching for the moisture.

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

Ok sounds like good advice.  Will try on my next seeds.  I was using a gentle spray action from a plastic bottle with fine holes cut in top.  Will try the simpler pour water in circle around plant instead.

i would recommend some good soil seed starter mix over the coir, unless u buy the good coir such as a canna product, organic soil mix takes a lot of the nutrient issues away for a first timer, in say a 500ml cup, watered with 100ml of water twice a wk is plenty for first coup wks, be it soil or coir, poor air flow, and damp conditions also promote fungus known as damping off which is a major seedling killer, leggy seedling esp n the first week is usually a case of poor lighting, thou i typically find even in strong outdoor lighting they can tip over after a coup wks unless the soil is topped up around the stem

stay away from the dome lid

With that space and amount of seedings, you might want to think about sea of green, instead of screen of green. There is big difference. As for seeds. Yantra seeds is a reliable source. Just get it delivered to a friend or relatives house to be completely sure.

Wow that would have to be an understanding friend or relative.  Wouldn't there be a chance of getting them a criminal record?

I think a SCROG is a better option seeing I will only have 2-3 plants.  The 16 seedlings was to ensure that I ended up with 3 good females.  I expected some not to germinate and then at least half to be male.

So 16 should have been enough to ensure 3 good healthy females.

But seeing I messed up the watering and maybe do not have enough airflow I got none lol.

Will fix these issues and get a cfl light as it seems like the LED is too strong for seedlings.