Peat pellet wet but soil dry

I’ve recently germinated in peat pellets and then transferred to a soil vermiculite, perlite mixture. The seedlings are just now showing signs of over watering. While the soil mixture has good aeration and very dry before watering I only just realised the transfered peat pellets seems to stay wet.

Am I best off just watering around the edges of the pots and avoid the peat pellet, Or should I bottom water by putting pot in saucer when dry.

Any ideas. Anyone else ever had this problem?

They are 2 weeks since germination.

If anything go around and try avoid the peat pellet.

Peat can hold water very well and can often I find with jiffy’s be overwatered. By lightly watering the outside the roots should push further out in search for water as the jiffy dries up. This will also allow the roots the breath a bit better too. Offer less water is best in the beginning form my experience

Edited by bakedcake

I would have used perlite on its own or vermiculite on its own. Reason: Vermiculite added to the garden or vermiculite in potting soil increases water and nutrient retention and aerates the soil, resulting in healthier, more robust plants. Perlite may also be found in potting soils, but vermiculite is far superior for water retention. Vermiculite, although less aerating than perlite, is the amendment of choice for water-loving plants. 

Cannabis is not a water loving plant, sure it needs water, like all living things but not as much as most people seem to think. Have you stuck you pinky finger in the soil to feel how wet it may be under the surface? It could be pretty wet with both perlite and vermiculite in your medium. How heavy do your pots feel? How heavy were they before you watered? If you don't know and you still have a dry mix handy put some in the same size pot and feel the weight dry and the feel the pots you already have started, that should give you a good idea of how much moisture is in the pots your plants are in.

• Upvote 1