Fnq grow advice

Hi all, new here. Had a couple of grows the last few years and am still in need of a bit of advice.

First of all ive been using pots, about 70l i think, so as to avoid termites. Ive noticed that a lot of outdoor grows people dig holes in the ground then put pots in? Is there any advantage to this.

Also, id quite like to go organic providing I get as good a yield, obviously there are many other benefits going organic.

Also, what time would be suggested to put seeds in. I usually plant hybrids jan/feb so they arent in late flower during the wet which is generally over by may. If i went full sativa (thinking gold rush by sss) would i be able to plant a bit earlier? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hi all, new here. Had a couple of grows the last few years and am still in need of a bit of advice.

First of all ive been using pots, about 70l i think, so as to avoid termites. Ive noticed that a lot of outdoor grows people dig holes in the ground then put pots in? Is there any advantage to this.

Also, id quite like to go organic providing I get as good a yield, obviously there are many other benefits going organic.

Also, what time would be suggested to put seeds in. I usually plant hybrids jan/feb so they arent in late flower during the wet which is generally over by may. If i went full sativa (thinking gold rush by sss) would i be able to plant a bit earlier? Thanks in advance.

Yeah what kind of pots are you rocking? Fabric?

Generally I see people put pots is the ground if either they help stop the plant being top heavy and falling over, other reason may be a cut bottom too allow the roots to further grow once planted.

Dependent where you are geographically but I know on another thread here they recently talked about it.

what SJ said but

put your town in here https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/ this will show sunrise & sunset = day length for your town

max day length is December 22 after which days get shorter , whats the max day length for your area on the 22 december ?

The earlier you get in the longer you have to veg, as long as your not getting less than 13hours light you should be fine. I would say chuck them in around September but again depends on location.

Go organic and no till in a pot that size and you will be fine. To keep pests from climbing into your pot you can rap duct tape around the pot and put either Vaseline or tanglefoot is the best. This means when the crawl up the pot and hit that strip, Vaseline they won’t try cross, tangle foot they will get stuck. Just a little tip for not using pesticides, also get a routine IPM schedule with some Neem and other herbs like basil, lavender etc

bf03cc54fa3fade4195a54765bbdc671.png

Also some organic amendments to add to your soil or top dress with

485c2a70af0d325cfe34f7bdb346526e.jpg

If termites want to eat your roots and plant they will. You will not stop them without drastic measures. If they are around and there is no water in the ground, they will find your wet roots and enjoy their spoils. I have read they will (if hungry enough) eat through plastic, concrete and any thing containing cellulose. They love tree stumps for colony set up, rotten fallen timber, even mulch with lots of wood in it. Some peeps have used sump oil around their plants (of course a big circle about one metre away from the plants roots) that deters them but nothing is guaranteed to work 100%. I would rather fight other bad bugs and disease than termites. They are the BORG of plant destroying bugs. 

• Upvote 2

Yeah thanks for the info. I should add a bit more info.

I am current using blue plastic 44gal drums cut lengthways with drain holes. I usually have visqueen under the pots to prevent termites finding the pot, has worked so far.

Soil is fertile from the block, along with perlite, cow shit, guano gold, coarse sand, dolomite, gypsum, also water in k humate before planting. I usually alternate between a cow shit based tea and nutritech triple 10 for veg, then for bloom mono potassium phosphate, a foliar magnesium and potash and foliar nutritech aminomax which gives me all the l aminos. Obviously would like to cut out the mono potassium phosphate amd other salts if i can source a good alternative. I then flush for a couple of weeks with epsom salts before pulling. Any advice on changing this schedule i will definitely look in to. Awesome having a like minded community to share knowledge with, thanks.

last year I used those half 44 plastic drums also.

I had a big piece of sheet metal they were put on top of, just in case the nasty termites came looking... an offcut of colourbond roof sheet or something similar would work... I dont care how stong a termites bite is they ain't chewing through metal !  

• Upvote 3