G day hermananian,

Ive read from a few sources that the freezer method actually damages the bud and can lead to mold. Guessing you’ve never experienced anything like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Bud, been freezing for many many years, never once have I seen mold, the only way you could get mold is if it was already there. As far as damage is concerned, that can only happen if your rough with the frozen product. That's why I said, cryovac into the size portions you want, and then place these in a hard container, that way theirs no knocking them around in the freezer. Only take out what you want and gently at that, let it come to room temperature before playing with it. By freezing you can stop the cure from progressing past the ideal. It gets locked at the stage it is frozen. 

Edited by hermananian

Hey Brick,

I never thought of rice but a bloody brilliant idea, do you use this in a separate mesh bag or just a layer on the bottom or something?

I just throw a dessert spoon full in the bottom. Have to be care full when getting the last buds out that some rice grains have not gotten into them. They don't smoke up well even after being ground up. lol

I just throw a dessert spoon full in the bottom. Have to be care full when getting the last buds out that some rice grains have not gotten into them. They don't smoke up well even after being ground up. lol

Haha yeah not the buzz. What SnG said about the elastic band and cloth I though was quite good too, help keep your basmati out of the nugs hahah

i use miron glass vases .... they work very well for long periods of time.

also make sure that I cure at a way higher humidity level than used in drying and cure for a long time. i follow this guys advice (Grat3fulh3ad) ... best results i've had by a mile ... was worried about mold at first, but all good - buds stay so very sticky. :)

_____

Curing
Optimum level of humidity for curing and storage

The air inside the bud curing jar should be at a relative humidity of approximately 68-74%. Generally, the flavors can best evolve in such a climate. This level of humidity supports an even burning of the flowers. At a relative humidity level of 70%, and a temperature of 64°F (18°C) the air contains approximately 10 grams of water per cubic meter of air. In such an environment, the buds should equalize to the ideal rate of humidity of 15% of its total weight.

Overly dried buds become brittle, crumble too finely, and burn too fast since their burning is not slowed down by the flower's natural humidity. The smoke can take on a harsher taste. Volatile terpenes are lost resulting in 'less flavor'.

Damp flowers, on the other hand, burn unevenly and incompletely with black ash, and can take on an unpleasant acidic flavor or musty flavor. In storage they may develop mold or rot.

In the 60-75% range buds can be stored for long periods of time without any concern. Caution is required, however, if the humidity level should exceed 80%. In this case the buds can begin to rot and mold.

Temperatures below 55F will slow curing and temperatures above 78F can allow mold to grow.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=166110

• Upvote 2

ok,

so i decided to go with the vacuum sealed mason jars

with a bit of a DIY 

all up total cost for the pump came in under 10 bucks lol....

got all equipment from local pet store and syringe from chemist.

1x 60ml syringe

3x 15cmx 4mm tubing

1x "T" piece to suit 4mm tubing

2x check valves

hot glue gun and 5mm drill bit

equipment used post-39522-0-47827800-1536124173_thumb.jpg

drill hole in 500mm mason jar lidpost-39522-0-73864200-1536124306_thumb.jpg

connect tubes to t piece post-39522-0-82016500-1536124440_thumb.jpg

hot glue the valve "in" side to mason jar lid, seal with hot glue to bottom aswell post-39522-0-83420300-1536124614_thumb.jpgpost-39522-0-79691500-1536124693_thumb.jpg

connect the other valve to the bottom of the t piece with "out" side facing outwardspost-39522-0-35924700-1536124882_thumb.jpg

connect to mason jar and pump the syringe till you feel a bit of pressure and the syringe

"springs" back in a littlepost-39522-0-48554900-1536125074_thumb.jpgpost-39522-0-83705200-1536125272_thumb.jpg

all donepost-39522-0-39836600-1536125370_thumb.jpg

thanks for our input stoners!

post-39522-0-80577800-1536124974_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

After curing I vacuum seal anything I won't smoke within a month into lots of about 1 months worth to me.
if they are vacuum sealed you shouldNTneed to put them in the freezer, if no air can get in or out you won't have a problem at all.Just make sure in a cool dark spot.

The longest I've had it sealed was about 11 months, just like you I grow for the year.

Edited by BigBudSpencer
  • Upvote 2