What u need to look at is light spectrum

Led are great for veg with lots and light in the blue n green spectrum

Between 680 n 720 is the red spectrum used by the plant to produce buds , hps has more of it

This is the infra part of the spectrum ,

So pick a light with good light spectrum then get the size for your area

Sent from my iPhone using OZ Stoners

Edited by micmac

Either way tunkers it doesnt matter anyone who's done 10 minutes of research into led lights knows not to judge them off advertised wattage. Also i think everyone is in agreement that there could be a better way to rate them. Maybe we should just use true draw.

Thanks micmac. These do have a bloom switch that adds a big boost of ir lighting but i will probably supplement during flower aswell anyway. The meizhis are supposed to be full spectrum too. Situation right now though is i have this particular light and i have the option of sending it back and swapping for a 450w or something. The 300w jfeels like it just cant be enough.... so it's either stick with what i got or downgrade. Can always supplement red light cheaply either way.

Thanks for all the input guys

Edited by melacao

No offense mate but if you did 10 minutes research into LEDs I would not have expected you to believe a 900w LED is going to compare to 900w HID lighting at all...

Everything you are saying is right on the money about higher wattage. Yet you bought a Meizhi that runs 5w chips instead of something with less wattage per diode / more of them, which are then spread out further to cover larger area with less heat.

Only reason I have a Meizhi is because someone who realised how terrible it was gave it to me for free. Didn't even bother charging me for it and it was brand new. Even paid for the postage lolol

Like Indy said, choose what size area you are working with and decide what LED is going to suit the coverage you need and how much heat your space can handle.

I recently purchased a new light and the thing that i liked was the information available for it.

i do not want to guess how high to hang the light, or how much of a space it can cover, Isn't that why we are paying good money for a product off the shelf ?

It should be tested and those results displayed in their marketing material ?

e.g.:

post-2463-0-81277200-1530146040_thumb.png

Tunkers obviously they do not compare and that wasnt what i said. What i said is that the majority of these LED manufacturers are stating that you can replace a 600hid type with a 600led. They are saying this, it isnt my belief i have never used any other grow light but LED so i cannot compare.

Billygoat as i have previously said they do supply that info, the coverage is fine. A 300w will give me the coverage i need... i have the information the confusing part for me is they are giving the same distances from plants for both there weakest and strongest lights and all those invetween. Now. Is that just how LED's work? Is that just how the meizhi lighrs work? Or have they made a mistake with that information? This i do not know and this is what i am asking. Can i get closer and also save a bit of $$ without sacrificing yeilds from less light intensity because temp and coverage are not an issue in this situation.

This conversation is making me dizzy

Edited by melacao

You may find what they are growing with those lights for their benchmark testing are probably herbs in cheaper brands and then more fruiting plants in higher quality.

Generally you always see the photos growing a peace lily or some shit. In general I find you get the coverage but not the intensity unless you got the $$$. If I was you I would only use half the space they recommend they cover I feel it should perform adequately. If you go full coverage they state you will most likely lose out

Thanks Tunkers very helpful. So looks like it would be fine for veg but would need more for flower. Bringing it closer might just do it?

So maybe sticking with the 900w? Maybe i should look at dimming it for now then cranking it back up for flower.

Bakedcake - so you're saying the 900w might actually be ideal in terms on intensity. But then if i cant get the plants as close that boost in light would be cancelled out? Surely the 300w should be able to get closer than a 900w - that seems logical right? Seems strange they are stating all of their lights should be kept the sane distance. ...