lol I believe what they do is multiply the wattage of each diodes by how many there is in the light. 3w diodes x 300 diodes = 900w. Not necessarily true wattage. If a Meizhi 900w is equivalent to 900w of HPS I'm swapping my 600w Meizhi with my 513w Samsung led. That's incredible lol
  • Upvote 1

Best to ask the led crew

my 600 W Hps is pretty close to the canopy like 40cm but I can't compare it to a led because I just don't know

Google will be your friend with this

Do some research on led lights , your one specifically , and distances to get optimum usage of the par the light is producing

Or do what I do and just try it and monitor it you'll soon see if you have it too close

Haha either way good luck

Cheers :) Brim

Interesting info you're trying find here, melacao. I've seen many a threads in relation to folks having harvested how many grams per watt, but nothing like you're asking here.

I'd suggest you try and find some more info about your light, like how far it spreads and how much it drops off on the fringes. Then you can figure out what size grow space is optimum for that specific light, then go about sourcing a tent/cab/room to suit.

For instance, I'm quite fond of my 600w HPS Cooltube setup, and I found the optimum space for that setup is 1.1m wide, 1.1m deep, and whatever height is available (more the better for shit hanging overhead). And the average height of the light 18"-24" (45cm-60cm) above the canopy of the plant/s. So theoretically (imo), that particular setup of light is good 1.1cubic metre space, if it's any larger the drop off of the light is wasted.

Some tossers like to hang shit on cabinet grows, but to me, I build them to a specification for a purpose, so that that any fringe light (lumens) is then reflected back into the grow space and not lost out to a open room. I usually paint the inside of the inner cabinet with a weatherproof semi gloss paint to assist with the light reflection, and ease of cleaning.

But yeah, until to get some more specs on the light you have. It's going to be difficult for anyone to assist you with the information you're after. Considering what you've mentioned what gear you got, the light might be too intense for the space you have. Which as you'd know could be detrimental to the plant/s.

lol I believe what they do is multiply the wattage of each diodes by how many there is in the light. 3w diodes x 300 diodes = 900w. Not necessarily true wattage. If a Meizhi 900w is equivalent to 900w of HPS I'm swapping my 600w Meizhi with my 513w Samsung led. That's incredible lol

Not quite Tunkers. That theory goes straight out the window considering my 900w light has 180 diodes.

There is no definite equation for it, LED wattage is theoretical. The rating is loosely based off what the max wttage the light can handle is which is normally about 3x the true wattage. But with LEDs if you run the max power they actually run less efficiently and the actual light output is reduced.

And yes most manufactures say you can replace a HID light with the equivalent 'LED wattage' light. Wether that stands up or not is not for me to say and im in no position to comment. Ive always used our good old sun until recently.

Interesting info you're trying find here, melacao. I've seen many a threads in relation to folks having harvested how many grams per watt, but nothing like you're asking here.

I'd suggest you try and find some more info about your light, like how far it spreads and how much it drops off on the fringes. Then you can figure out what size grow space is optimum for that specific light, then go about sourcing a tent/cab/room to suit.

For instance, I'm quite fond of my 600w HPS Cooltube setup, and I found the optimum space for that setup is 1.1m wide, 1.1m deep, and whatever height is available (more the better for shit hanging overhead). And the average height of the light 18"-24" (45cm-60cm) above the canopy of the plant/s. So theoretically (imo), that particular setup of light is good 1.1cubic metre space, if it's any larger the drop off of the light is wasted.

Some tossers like to hang shit on cabinet grows, but to me, I build them to a specification for a purpose, so that that any fringe light (lumens) is then reflected back into the grow space and not lost out to a open room. I usually paint the inside of the inner cabinet with a weatherproof semi gloss paint to assist with the light reflection, and ease of cleaning.

But yeah, until to get some more specs on the light you have. It's going to be difficult for anyone to assist you with the information you're after. Considering what you've mentioned what gear you got, the light might be too intense for the space you have. Which as you'd know could be detrimental to the plant/s.

Edit: accidently hit post while quoting.

Thanks Indy. Ive had a look at the specs for meizhi lights and basically the 300w gives enough coverage so that would work but im worried 1/3rd of the power will result in significantly reduced yields? Even considering i MAY be able to use more vertical space.

The limiting factor for me is the size of tent, it's as big as i can go. Lets just say its a stealth grow.... super stealth. And 2 plants is all i need for my personal use anyway. So the tent isnt changing, the only room ive got to manouvre is with my light. I just cannot find any solid info on how downgrading my light might play out...

Edited by melacao

Hey micmac. Yeah fully aware and appreciate yield has got to do with a whole lot more than the light being used but im just wondering about the light specifically right now. Youve already given me a wealth of information regarding medium and environment etc :-)

Where's the best place to find some LED experts? Any residents on these forums?

Basically put simple it comes down two questions: how much of an effect on yeild will a drop from 900w - 300w (LED standards) have and will i be able to get that 300w light closer than the 900?

Not quite Tunkers. That theory goes straight out the window considering my 900w light has 180 diodes.

There is no definite equation for it, LED wattage is theoretical. The rating is loosely based off what the max wttage the light can handle is which is normally about 3x the true wattage. But with LEDs if you run the max power they actually run less efficiently and the actual light output is reduced.

And yes most manufactures say you can replace a HID light with the equivalent 'LED wattage' light. Wether that stands up or not is not for me to say and im in no position to comment. Ive always used our good old sun until recently.

Unless it's 5w per diode. My Meizhi has 120 diodes.. x 5 = 600w....

Mars 300w has 60 x 5w diodes = 300w

Viperspectra 600 has 120 x 5w diodes = 600w

Viper 1200w has 240 diodes.

I'm beginning to see a pattern emerging...

Makes sense to me, but I may be wrong...

Edited by Tunkers
  • Upvote 1