Shit hot

And getting hotter. Smells pretty good.

A bunch of hard work in those photos. Chipped/shredded garden waste, mostly poinciana mixed in with a couple hundred kilos manure. Predominantly horse mixed in with duck, chicken and alpaca.

post-62971-0-40460100-1529372461_thumb.jpegpost-62971-0-66893700-1529372485_thumb.jpegpost-62971-0-00632700-1529372510_thumb.jpegpost-62971-0-79751800-1529372531_thumb.jpeg

The plan is to to help my canna plants throughout their grow with particular interest in attracting Trichogramma , ladybugs, mantis etc.

Anyone else doing this sort of stuff? Which plants / flowers are you using? Has it made a noticeable difference, or is it just a matter of finding canna plants with great genetics?

• Upvote 2

And getting hotter. Smells pretty good.

A bunch of hard work in those photos. Chipped/shredded garden waste, mostly poinciana mixed in with a couple hundred kilos manure. Predominantly horse mixed in with duck, chicken and alpaca.

attachicon.gif2CD886EA-0DE3-4C4A-8C18-1BC9A7E3AE0B.jpegattachicon.gif1269908B-620F-44DC-915E-941F8527D043.jpegattachicon.gif5C64F536-664E-4FC3-BFD6-168AC4338392.jpegattachicon.gif8C1589F2-3949-43E6-830E-57D5D1A41B4D.jpeg

The plan is to to help my canna plants throughout their grow with particular interest in attracting Trichogramma , ladybugs, mantis etc.

Anyone else doing this sort of stuff? Which plants / flowers are you using? Has it made a noticeable difference, or is it just a matter of finding canna plants with great genetics?

Oooh looking good mate. Nice compost going.

So wait what are you trying to attract? Is it just ladybugs, mantis etc?

Is this to be like a live IPM? as I know lady bugs are killer for this.

• Upvote 1

I’m looking forward to turning it over Indy. It will look amazing steaming away on these cold mornings. Berkeley method reckons 18 days. https://deepgreenpermaculture.com/diy-instructions/hot-compost-composting-in-18-days/ Can’t see me doing all that though. I’m ok with a month or three.

Hay baked. Two I would like to move in are ladybugs and trichogramma

The later you cannnot see with the naked eye. Hahah. What a fucker. Anyways, these guys are parasitic wasps.

They will stop caterpillars at the egg stage before they hatch. Which in turn I’m hoping will let me mature my plants for longer with less loss.

post-62971-0-66725000-1529375911_thumb.jpeg

He’s sitting on a moth egg, laying his egg inside. Boo yah.

These guys sell them https://bugsforbugs.com.au

I would like to attract them and have them set up shop though.

Thanks for the jpeg. I saved it. Cheers.

I’m looking forward to turning it over Indy. It will look amazing steaming away on these cold mornings. Berkeley method reckons 18 days. https://deepgreenpermaculture.com/diy-instructions/hot-compost-composting-in-18-days/ Can’t see me doing all that though. I’m ok with a month or three.

Hay baked. Two I would like to move in are ladybugs and trichogramma

The later you cannnot see with the naked eye. Hahah. What a fucker. Anyways, these guys are parasitic wasps.

They will stop caterpillars at the egg stage before they hatch. Which in turn I’m hoping will let me mature my plants for longer with less loss.

attachicon.gif9B82E4D4-11C7-4B1D-97B7-42D3E582F6EA.jpeg

He’s sitting on a moth egg, laying his egg inside. Boo yah.

These guys sell them https://bugsforbugs.com.au

I would like to attract them and have them set up shop though.

Thanks for the jpeg. I saved it. Cheers.

Ahhh very cool. Yeah beneficial little critters hack it on the IPM in my no-till pots there is always and abundance of predatory mites running around never had a gnat problem in them or anything.

Sorry not sure what you can do to attract them other than give them a good food source (infecting your plants or a nearby plant) as odd as it seems is they will only grow where they can feed. If your pest free then they will simply die off or move on

• Upvote 1

Pollens and nectars is what I should be providing apparently.

Looking into a few easy to grow flowering types at the moment. Calendula ?? Might even throw a bird bath in there as well.

Turned the compost. Photo doesn’t do the steam justice. Got up to 65c. Turned at 60c. Could have let it go longer I guess but I was itching to get at it. Now I remember that it’s a workout, I’ll let this one sit longer..lol.

post-62971-0-16634700-1529985915_thumb.jpeg

Aired and watered. Ready to go again.

post-62971-0-83990200-1529986009_thumb.jpeg

I’ll go to bunnings and check out what seeds they have. Alyssum ??

• Upvote 2