Folks Over Knives Full Doco

Hey guys,

I went vegan at the end of 2016, that combined with exercise I went from 144 kgs of out of shape slob to 79 kilos of mean machine with a six pack.

now I am mostly vegan with the odd bit of lean meat and eggs when I feel I need it. For a long time I felt good just eating vegan but after training hard for so long I felt a bit down and flat and so had some quality lean meat and felt better. So now once a month or so or if I feel flat I go and get a nice lean steak and eat that and I am good for a while. I train a lot though, run every day and four hard two hour sessions per week minimum, more in fight camp so to be vegan doing that you need to have everything on point. If I had a nutritionist working with me I reckon I could get enough out of a vegan diet to sustain me with plant protein and if I wasn't training so hard I have no doubt that a vegan diet would be ample.

On a side note, dairy is something that I feel a lot better not consuming. I always remember having a upset stomach after eating lots of dairy so maybe I am lactose intolerant somewhat but yeah, after not eating it for so long dairy products just smell bad to me now.

Anyway if anyone is struggling with weight loss I encourage you to consider a vegan diet even just for a while. If anyone wants any advice about it hit me up as I've done it myself and I am happy to help others. 

Edit.

PS my mrs changed her diet with me and has lost 20 kilos so far, her exercise regime is one aqua aerobics class per week and walking the dog, so you dont have to be an athlete to make lasting change :D

great post mate 

i'm looking at food to heal the body 

not so much weight lose , already down to the same as you 79kg from 25 stone when i was diagnosed with crohn's & ulcerative colitis in 02 

followed all doc's advise , took all the meds & still had part of my large intestine removed , got over the op , life was pretty good , let myself fall 

back into old habits  of letting my sweet tooth rule my food consumption , about mid last year things started changing back to some of the probs i

was dealing with B4 the op , food has become a bit of a nightmare at the mo , now i've done some research into food , i'd rather go down that 

path than the meds path , not saying they didn't work but i did what i was told so all i know is i never felt better on the meds & ended in surgery

hindsight is a wonderful thing & not saying food is the be all & end all but when your already compromised for one reason or another i think going 

the less evasive approach , food . a better choice 

• Upvote 1

Eat the stillborn that an organic raising farmer has to do SOMETHING with... Eat the ass out of a bitch AND off a cow... After it's ready to die... of course... Or don't, but you go runnin' round taking bites outta every motherfucker you meet... You might be on some flacka shit, Ese. And you'll need to be put to sleep...

What the fuck. Did I just do. Go bilingual?! Probably not, I'm as straight as an arrow that's bent but isn't.

-- "Man only plays when he is in the fullest sense of the word a human being, and he is only fully a human being when he plays."

AND WOULD IT FUCKING KILL YOU...

To actually look after your kids? Are they happy? They doing things they shouldn't be? Seeing things they shouldn't be seeing?

Fuck. Those. Cunts.

"Don't look, ya bastards!"

Now, cut head off the weirdo...

Only kidding. Or am I?

Frankly, I don't fucking even KNOW anymore

Haven't seen the doco yet. But I do believe itchy has struck a good happy medium here. A occasional binge on Bacon isn't too bad, best get it from a trustworthy Butcher (yes, there are some out there) that smokes his own meats rather than the commercial crap you find in Supermarkets. And basically avoid most processed meats sold in Deli's. Hard to resist, I know, but that stuff will take it's toll on you before you know it. Pretty well the same with any processed foods.

Portion controlled quality fresh cut meats most days of the week can be quite beneficial to you.

• Upvote 2

yeah i think the same lill bit of meat is good but maybe more like the Asians where it's only a small portion of the meal 

as the asian guy in the doco says , meats used more as a flavoring in a dish 

plus if your someone that looks backward to hunter & gatherer ancestors , i would think meat would have been part of there diet

but wouldn't have been a daily meal i would think , there wouldn't have been a successful hunt every day & they couldn't really store left overs  

listening to a bit of Joe Rogan talking bout hunting your own meat & the diff in quality when an animal has taken care of itself 

protecting itself from predators , mentions eating organ meat , he was saying when predators catch there pray one of the first things they 

eat & fight over is the organ meat , liver , kidney ect

sometimes the best you can do is to just cook it yourself , buy the raw ingredients rather than the pre packed option with all the non food additives 

when we cook ourselves we tend to use less oil & less salt compared to pre packed or pre made products 

not that i'm saying take it easy on salt & oil , if you have a mostly raw food diet you don't get the overload of salt & fat / sugar that living 

out of packets & bottles will give you 

salt is our soils ( for the diy soil mixing folk out there ) rock dust , minerals & if you workout & sweat you need to replace the minerals 

fat , our brains are round 60% fat , i've seen it mentioned that alzheimer & parkinson disease are physicians diseases due to low fat &

cholesterol meds , statins , seems to be all true if you eat from packets , but makes no sense when eating a whole food diet

add to that one of the biggest selling medications worldwide , cholesterol meds  statins are worth billions & billions & billions of doe for everybody 

the drug co , the GP & the other meds & treatments you end up on from side effects , everyone gets paid 

Well said, itchy. I failed to mention that, that was what I was leaning towards is how Asians use meat in their diets. That said, a 100grams of fresh cuts of meat per serve, 3 to 5 times a week is still going to do more good than harm.

Also, I did watch the Doco over the weekend but didn't think too much of it. A lot of the data they were relying on was way too old, which in turn wouldn't have been acurate as much as they would've like. Not only that, the Doco itself was compiled by a few old fogey's that had their own agenda. Especially that old fruitbat that reckon she beat breast cancer alone by diet. That sort of nonsense does it for me fairly quickly.

But the Doco as a whole, the majority of what the mentioned I was happy to buy into. Just felt some of it was misconstrued to suit themselves like most of them (Doco's).

Edited by Indycar

yeah mate like most things we see hear read , we need to do some critical thinking cos as you say most will present there truths in there own favorable light 

diff groups of people can get on a team & get so single minded they can't see the forest for the trees

blinkers let them ignore anything that contradicts there thinking even if it's solid hard evidence , my teams gotta win mentality 

which is silly cos all of our thinking @ 18yo is very diff @ 30 & diff again @ 50 & so on & so forth 

i would like to think as a 50yo i'm happy to embrace change , change of heart , change of thinking

& not be what i see in my 90yo mother , when any lill change is evil & over whelming 

thinking @ 90 !

• Upvote 2

yeah the struggle is real 

i've given up processed sugar , which was big for me as i have a massive sweet tooth

only eating whole foods as well , at this stage still eating meat , fish or chicken 

drinking only water since mid jan this year , wasn't much of an alcohol drinker or coffee/tea

but again would drink orange cordial all day everyday 

plus i don't think you have to give up meat completely , just limit to a few times a week

& maybe one of those cheat days you can go for it with ya bacon ect

there was a 4 corners report some time back where the reporter , who had cleaned up his diet 

against a young 20 something gymnast who loved junk food , burgers , pizza , chocolate 

they fed them for breakfast of crap , donuts , pies , burgers , coke , shakes , ect ect & took bloods every hour 

to see how the 2 bodies handle the crap that was consumed , the reporter who was on a mostly 

greens diet already processed the crap quickly with no issue , the junk food loving athlete was told 

he was one step from diabetes , did not get rid of the crap anywhere near the rate of the reporter 

who was twice his age from memory 

it seems possible to have a mostly green diet & use that diet to let you have a cheat day that the 

body can get rid of fairly quickly due to that constant green diet 

i don't have kids but i would think best to learn good habits early , of cause change would be hard

but think there bodies would adapt a lot quicker than us adults   

just on bacon , you guys might want to look up the use of Nitrates & Nitrites , they are additives to keep the 

bacon / deli meat red , really not good for you , you can find bacon which is free of these additives 

but a lill hard to find  , i won't mention the beautiful tasting brown black grill marks of grilled/fried cooked meat 

Hey guys,

I went vegan at the end of 2016, that combined with exercise I went from 144 kgs of out of shape slob to 79 kilos of mean machine with a six pack.

now I am mostly vegan with the odd bit of lean meat and eggs when I feel I need it. For a long time I felt good just eating vegan but after training hard for so long I felt a bit down and flat and so had some quality lean meat and felt better. So now once a month or so or if I feel flat I go and get a nice lean steak and eat that and I am good for a while. I train a lot though, run every day and four hard two hour sessions per week minimum, more in fight camp so to be vegan doing that you need to have everything on point. If I had a nutritionist working with me I reckon I could get enough out of a vegan diet to sustain me with plant protein and if I wasn't training so hard I have no doubt that a vegan diet would be ample.

On a side note, dairy is something that I feel a lot better not consuming. I always remember having a upset stomach after eating lots of dairy so maybe I am lactose intolerant somewhat but yeah, after not eating it for so long dairy products just smell bad to me now.

Anyway if anyone is struggling with weight loss I encourage you to consider a vegan diet even just for a while. If anyone wants any advice about it hit me up as I've done it myself and I am happy to help others. 

Edit.

PS my mrs changed her diet with me and has lost 20 kilos so far, her exercise regime is one aqua aerobics class per week and walking the dog, so you dont have to be an athlete to make lasting change

I have been animal product free for about a year now.  would never go back. too much science and I've lived through vast improvements in my physical as well as mental health.  lol and one of my faves useta be cheeseburgers lol

Faith :sun:

• Upvote 2

I have been animal product free for about a year now.  would never go back. too much science and I've lived through vast improvements in my physical as well as mental health.  lol and one of my faves useta be cheeseburgers lol

Faith :sun:

very cool faith 

good to " read you " again 

how hard was it to give up the meat ? 

& how do you feel now after a year ? 

do you have any cheat days ?

I dont think I could give up meat or even want to. Cut back yes, but cut out, no. Had home made vegi risotto last night actually, bloody good too. Would have been vegan if I didn't add paramson lol. A vegan diet has merit, but I dont believe you should be vegan to save an animals life, you should be vegan because its healthy. The only vegan diet I support is one where you grow your own food or by direct from someone who grows it.

I haven't eating take-away since the start of 2017. It started by accident and due to my remote location we are about an hr from the closest fast-food resturant. Probably added a couple of years to my life already. I dont crave it anymore but wouldn't mind some maccas fries. 

• Upvote 1