Parliamentary Petition to Legalise Recreational Cannabis

The greens should stick to hugging trees

as for the census lol lol i tell the fuckers nothing, prefer to have nothing to do with them

can't see why anyone would get on the ice, its a fucking shit drug same as the H

when i was a young bloke people got there speed from the chemist, till the government fucked it up, and the bikie's took over

very few good cooks around, lucky me i was mates with a real good one lol lol lol

Speed ain't that good when you are prescribed it, been on it since I was 4 weed is a better herb [emoji22] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

1 day to go before it expires. 12350. It slowed down a lot over the last week or so for some reason, not through lack of support I don't think, most people just didn't hear about it. 12350 is still a lot of signatures as far as parliamentary petitions go though, most are lucky to get 100. It will probably come to nothing and as mentioned earlier, the federal government doesn't legislate cannabis laws anyway, the states do but it may send a message and if it does that, great. Fingers crossed will be legal within 5 years lol

• Upvote 1

cheers for the update bloodshot

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

No worries. It will be interesting to see if they respond to it and if so, what they say. I predict they will say what the federal health minister said on that 4 corners documentary "Green Rush" month or so ago when asked if the federal government would consider legalising recreational cannabis. "That is a matter for the state governments" Handball in other words lol

• Upvote 1

No worries. It will be interesting to see if they respond to it and if so, what they say. I predict they will say what the federal health minister said on that 4 corners documentary "Green Rush" month or so ago when asked if the federal government would consider legalising recreational cannabis. "That is a matter for the state governments" Handball in other words lol

Still.. thanks for the update [emoji106]

Kloud 9 [emoji106]

I looked at the petitions site and noticed that the health minister had responded. Basically saying that the Australian government does not support legalising cannabis but notes that the regulation of cannabis is a state and territory issue. Effectively a handball back to the state governments. 

Dear Mrs Wicks

I refer to your letter of 18 June 2018 on behalf of the Standing Committee on Petitions, concerning the proposal to legalise cannabis for adult use - Petition Number EN0596. I regret the delay in responding.

The Australian Government's views on cannabis are consistent with the principles set out in Australia's National Drug Strategy, which identifies cannabis as a priority substance and outlines a range of evidence-based approaches to minimise harm associated with cannabis use. These approaches include preventing uptake and delaying first time use, providing access to a range of treatment, support and information services and the disruption in supply to reduce availability.

The potential harms associated with using cannabis can depend on the age of a person, pattern of use, other risky behaviours and other underlying health conditions. Key medical bodies including the Australian Medical Association and the Royal Australasian College of Physicians have repeatedly expressed concerns over the proposal to legalise cannabis.

While many Australians may view cannabis use as harmless, almost a quarter of Australia's drug and alcohol treatment services are being provided to people identifying cannabis as their principal drug of concern (roughly the same number of treatment episodes as for amphetamine use).

The Australian Government does not support legalising cannabis for recreational use but notes that issues relating to prohibition, legalisation, deregulation and decriminalisation of cannabis are primarily the responsibility of states and territories.

Thank you for writing on this matter.

Yours sincerely

from the Minister for Health, the Hon Greg Hunt MP (Petition No. EN0596)

• Oz unpinned this topic