Soil or Hydroponics?

Use an inert medium Perlite & Vermiculite 70/30 ratio.

Feed with hydro nutritives,

Potting mixes indoors are not so good ,,,

steer clear of coco too many problems associated with it.

Thanks for the reply SE.

Is there a reason why you choose this particular medium as well as the mix of the 2? I have a bunch of clay balls left, from another project. Would these work the same?

Also, why do you chose drain to waste over recirculating?

To me, I feel the hydro seems a little easier, in that I have full control over what my plant will feed on and testing ppm and pH would be easier. And if I'm having issues, I can drain the resevoir and start again with fresh nutes. Also the roots are visible and can check for root rot etc.

With soil, I need to hope that it contains the correct nutes from the start and consistency/drainage is right. And also not as easy to flush. Plus it seems more prone to pests than hydro.

I probably just need to jump in the deep end and learn to swim myself, huh!

Slim,,,I hand water and use gravity fed. Run to waste,,

At roughly 2/3 perlite and 1/3 vermiculite I can water as often as I want ,,or I can let them go a day without watering sometimes two days if it's not too hot.

I always adjust my EC then adjust PH, when I mix up nutes.

If you feed often there prob won't be much change in root zone with EC or PH as much as if you let it go every second day ,,,the more she eats there's sure to be a change ,but I don't see any ill effects from not feeding as often .

Can't really compare to the problems of coco ,,cos there really isn't any problems with it ,,well none that I see,or have to deal with.

Not sure I explained it too well .,,,it's kind of like recirculating the more they eat the reservoir will have a different EC and PH,,,because of the changing ratios of water to nutes..but once you mix up again it will all be back where you want it ,, it's a little the same inside my pots but I

Because I add fresh nutes more often than a recirculating system I won't get as much fluctuation as what you might get when changing a reservoir after 7 or 10 days.

I can flush then go back to nutes as many times as I want ,,,apparently you'll get problems doing that with coco,,,but with a decent amount of runoff ( approx 20%) I don't need to flush till the final flush.

Pretty whacked so not sure I made any of that too clear .lol.

Made sense to me, but im pretty wacked reading it.

For me i dont like to go to my set- up every day, that's why i asked.

Sent from my SM-G935F using OZ Stoners mobile app

If your going to use soil then do actual true live organic with worm etc. No till no chemical fert. Just organic teas / kelp/ popcorn etc. This method will result in some might fine herb.

The other side of the coin Is coco/ perlite x vermiculite/ expanded etc. All these are hydro and therefore require chems and a certain level to stick to.

The beauty with true love is you feed the worms the feed the plants. The plants look a little low just kelp tea them and done.

For the record I myself grow hydro but outdooral live organic.

Slim,,,I hand water and use gravity fed. Run to waste,,

At roughly 2/3 perlite and 1/3 vermiculite I can water as often as I want ,,or I can let them go a day without watering sometimes two days if it's not too hot.

I always adjust my EC then adjust PH, when I mix up nutes.

If you feed often there prob won't be much change in root zone with EC or PH as much as if you let it go every second day ,,,the more she eats there's sure to be a change ,but I don't see any ill effects from not feeding as often .

Can't really compare to the problems of coco ,,cos there really isn't any problems with it ,,well none that I see,or have to deal with.

Not sure I explained it too well .,,,it's kind of like recirculating the more they eat the reservoir will have a different EC and PH,,,because of the changing ratios of water to nutes..but once you mix up again it will all be back where you want it ,, it's a little the same inside my pots but I

Because I add fresh nutes more often than a recirculating system I won't get as much fluctuation as what you might get when changing a reservoir after 7 or 10 days.

I can flush then go back to nutes as many times as I want ,,,apparently you'll get problems doing that with coco,,,but with a decent amount of runoff ( approx 20%) I don't need to flush till the final flush.

Pretty whacked so not sure I made any of that too clear .lol.

Hi SE and team, just wanted to say what an amazing difference perl/vermiculite has made. I live way south where ambient temps are my main issue. With coco (after pulling out some plants) i see my root ball is a cold,soggy shit ball. No matter how much i crank the heaters once that coco gets wet it, it's cold, slowing my growth a lot. Heating tape around pots only warms the outer portion of the coco.

Even with some 0c temps outside the perl/verm mix is seeing great root development. I sure the temp and o2 levels in the middle of the pot are much higher.

Thanks heaps for that one Serrated, mighty good advice.

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

• Upvote 2