Soil recipes

Hey people

Soon to be first time grower here. Doing plenty of research on making a good soil and I'm a bit overwhelmed!

I will be growing indoors, just a couple of plants, for my own supply. I'd like to produce some good quality, tasty buds!

I was hoping that maybe a few of you would post your successful soil recipes here please? Brands and quantities would be greatly appreciated. Much of the research I have done is very USA based, so some Aussie advice would be great.

Thanks in advance!

Coco coir mixed with perlite for a soiless mix would be highly recommended. You can top it with organic materials throughout your grow (or organic based nutrients). Coco coir can't be over watered and it holds whatever it can very well. Large bags of perlite can be found on eBay. Coco coir bricks can be purchased at Bunnings.

Do NOT buy anything with "slow release" nutrients in it. More often than not the NPK ratio leans more toward nitrogen, which may be too much in flowering and can't be flushed out. You want to have almost all control of your plants food.

As you gain experience you will create a unique blend of soil that works for you.

Edited by Don Logan

Soil

1/3 humus

1/3aeration

1/3organic material

So you get coco coir maybe some peat as your humus, your base

Then add perlite for aeration

Then your organics (this is the hard part)

You can simply add worm shit if you have a lot of it but most likely cow chicken horse shit is cheaper.

You could design your soil more specifically with guano, blood and bone, potash, dolomite lime and all that organic goodness but its all so much more complicated.

If you are really keen on soil then you'll need to build a healthy soil over time to get good growth.

If you want to grow some mean bud in the simplest way then avoid soil and go soilless

• Upvote 1

See I disagree with you there as I personally believe soil is the easiest medium to grow with perfect for beginners. If you mix soil correctly even in a balanced 1/3 of each earth worm castings, peat, scoria. Water twice a week you could get a plant from veg to flower without any issues exception may be auto’s as they are hungry fuckers.

However you go soiless your already buying meters, nutrients and measuring a whole lot of variables. That’s me personally though to me soil is easy especially organic and the cheapest for sure. However if your going soil in small pots and organic then that can be a huge determining factor, soiless in smaller spaces for sure you get the results. Soil with the right amount of time and space are unbeaten in taste and quality - disregarding yield as that is something different altogether

• Upvote 1

Soil is good if you get it right

A healthy well balanced soil will act as a good buffer and produce nice plants without much effort apart from but its not that simple to get to that point.

For me I'd be measuring water for soil as well

PH 6.5-7.5 pref 6.8-7.2

I'd be adding nutrients as I went in teas or topdressings too

Unless you made up one of these super soils where everything is already available but that's a big effort too and lots of $ and room for error.

Then you have the pests that live in soil or use soil for part of their life cycle that's a whole new drama.

I just think its a whole lot of room for more problems.

Soilless all you gotta do is measure nutrients and pH the solution,

100 bucks for nutes to last ages and 30 bucks for 100l of perlite

Easy as

Pests are only those that'll munch my leaves n neem takes care of that

Edited by Buds-lightyear
  • Upvote 1

Again I never have I ever ph’d a soil grow in my whole life it’s not needed. Unless you are grabbing cheap soil off the shelf but anything you use as humus should already contain the right micro biology for a healthy eco system. Top dress and done you don’t even need the teas. The bacteria and fungi are already within the rhizosphere and do it all. As for ph your water before it goes in - until recently I found I have ph 8 water from my taps. Day one to finish that was all and never noticed a change or an issue never even had an insect problem. I have done KNF grows as well in comparison to straight water. Yeild were the same only difference I found was the buds seemed a bit more tasty if anything.

Again I never have I ever ph’d a soil grow in my whole life it’s not needed. Unless you are grabbing cheap soil off the shelf but anything you use as humus should already contain the right micro biology for a healthy eco system. Top dress and done you don’t even need the teas. The bacteria and fungi are already within the rhizosphere and do it all. As for ph your water before it goes in - until recently I found I have ph 8 water from my taps. Day one to finish that was all and never noticed a change or an issue never even had an insect problem. I have done KNF grows as well in comparison to straight water. Yeild were the same only difference I found was the buds seemed a bit more tasty if anything.

I sort of disagree as if the soil is at ph 6 it will take in liquids n nuts better, but If it’s organic I can see why as the ph would balance out over time if too high. ?

Kloud 9 [emoji106]

Edited by kloud9