Seed Germination

I usually half fill a glass with rain water, boiled water once cooled, or demineralised water, and place the glass on top of the fridge towards the back where you can feel some heat radiating from the back of it. Usually within5 days those seeds that are going to crack would've by then and ready to plant out.

6 days in is getting a bit far along with no results. Hopefully some of them will germinate for you, sam.

I'm similar to Indy, I just pop the seeds in a glass with water and leave em floating on the surface of the water. If they sink to the bottom, pull em out, dry em off and try floating them again. Personally I've never used anything other than room temperature tap water but I live in VIC so our water is far better than Brisbane's, no offense lol and I just pop them in a cool, dark cupboard. Never had any issues and I've had a 99% success rate - call me lucky but I'm pretty sure that I've only ever had 2 or 3 seeds not pop out tap roots and I live in a relatively colder climate.

As for time, there is a chance your seeds might not be viable (aka fucking duds <_<) but I wouldn't be too concerned yet, I've had seeds crack anywhere between a few days to 10 days+. The only concern if you leave em in for tooo long is that they can develop a slimy membrane. It looks like a tiny algae membrane. I check on them regularly and the few times I've had that happen, I pull em out, gently dry them with a paper towel between my fingers (removing the membrane), change the water and plop them back in.

That's just me, everyone seems to have a different method and everyone seems to think their method is fairly fool-proof. My advice is do a ton of reading, find out what everyone's methods are and try each method. Eventually you'll find something that works for you. I personally think a lot of people who are new to it all, forget that it is just gardening and they tend to overthink everything a lot. Plants aren't robots, they don't adhere to a specific set of rules. Although being precise with certain things is definitely advised (especially if growing indoors), you've got to be aware that the things YOU do should be precise and methodical, the things the plant does are entirely up to the plant and although they can be encouraged or discouraged from doing certain things, ultimately it's the plant that's doing them.

Still that's not to say ya don't have a batch of duds <_< lol

• Upvote 1

I'm similar to Indy, I just pop the seeds in a glass with water and leave em floating on the surface of the water. If they sink to the bottom, pull em out, dry em off and try floating them again. Personally I've never used anything other than room temperature tap water but I live in VIC so our water is far better than Brisbane's, no offense lol and I just pop them in a cool, dark cupboard. Never had any issues and I've had a 99% success rate - call me lucky but I'm pretty sure that I've only ever had 2 or 3 seeds not pop out tap roots and I live in a relatively colder climate.

As for time, there is a chance your seeds might not be viable (aka fucking duds <_<) but I wouldn't be too concerned yet, I've had seeds crack anywhere between a few days to 10 days+. The only concern if you leave em in for tooo long is that they can develop a slimy membrane. It looks like a tiny algae membrane. I check on them regularly and the few times I've had that happen, I pull em out, gently dry them with a paper towel between my fingers (removing the membrane), change the water and plop them back in.

That's just me, everyone seems to have a different method and everyone seems to think their method is fairly fool-proof. My advice is do a ton of reading, find out what everyone's methods are and try each method. Eventually you'll find something that works for you. I personally think a lot of people who are new to it all, forget that it is just gardening and they tend to overthink everything a lot. Plants aren't robots, they don't adhere to a specific set of rules. Although being precise with certain things is definitely advised (especially if growing indoors), you've got to be aware that the things YOU do should be precise and methodical, the things the plant does are entirely up to the plant and although they can be encouraged or discouraged from doing certain things, ultimately it's the plant that's doing them.

Still that's not to say ya don't have a batch of duds <_< lol

Thanks really helpful stuff there.

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

Thanks really helpful stuff there.

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

All good Big S, that's what we're here for! :thumbsup:

I did neglect to mention something in my previous post;

Although it's great to read as much as possible and do a lot of trial and error to see what works for you, it's also wise to take everything with a grain of salt lol I'm by no means an expert and there are certainly far more experienced growers on here. If something doesn't sound right or seems a little too good to be true, do some fact checking :thumbsup:

Otherwise happy growing :yahoo:

• Upvote 1