Lucas Formula

Just wondering how many on here have used this formula.

In this formula two parts of the three part system from General Hydroponics is used. It states to use 8ml of Flora Micro and 16ml of Flora Bloom per gallon of water.

Also another method is to use Maxibloom dry nutrient on its own at a rate of 7g per gallon.

It does say you may have to fine tune it a little but it's pretty spot on.

It suggests no other nutrients as in a bud or bloom booster are necessary.

Economically it makes sense as doing it this way would certainly reduce the costs involved in nutrition dramatically.

So who has tried this method to a T and what were your results?

I think Lucas is for DWC but has been modified to become "Head's" formula for coco coir (basically, add calmag), and of course an indica can usually tolerate more nutrition in bloom than a pure sativa - so it's a little more complex because the "right" formula depends on the growing medium, lights and the plant genetics in my experience.  I don't think there's any magical formula that suits every growth stage of every different strain and grow style!

I'm using coco hempy buckets and growing landrace-ish sativas which is why I use a lot less than the manufacturer recommends - 1.25g/L is way too much for the GH powders - surprise, surprise? The manufacturer wants you to use more than you need?

I tried Lucas and it was ok in flower but for veg, I think my girls needed more nitrogen so I went back to 1g/L maxigrow for the entire veg and then transition using a mix where I substitute maxibloom for maxigrow over the first few weeks of flower.

So in bloom I go from 1g/L of maxibloom at end week 4 when most of the growth has finished, down to zero by harvest. Each week, the mix has a decreased concentration to avoid tip burn - I use 0.2g/L less per week so by the end of flower at 10-12 weeks or so, I'm feeding water at 5.8pH plus calmag so I don't really need to do anything to flush - the coco is generally pretty well flushed by then and the plant is dying and not taking up much other than water as far as I can tell from looking at EC in and out in the hempy buckets.

Edited by doctor_nelson
  • Upvote 1

I think Lucas is for DWC but has been modified to become "Head's" formula for coco coir (basically, add calmag), and of course an indica can usually tolerate more nutrition in bloom than a pure sativa - so it's a little more complex because the "right" formula depends on the growing medium, lights and the plant genetics in my experience. I don't think there's any magical formula that suits every growth stage of every different strain and grow style!

I'm using coco hempy buckets and growing landrace-ish sativas which is why I use a lot less than the manufacturer recommends - 1.25g/L is way too much for the GH powders - surprise, surprise? The manufacturer wants you to use more than you need?

I tried Lucas and it was ok in flower but for veg, I think my girls needed more nitrogen so I went back to 1g/L maxigrow for the entire veg and then transition using a mix where I substitute maxibloom for maxigrow over the first few weeks of flower.

So in bloom I go from 1g/L of maxibloom at end week 4 when most of the growth has finished, down to zero by harvest. Each week, the mix has a decreased concentration to avoid tip burn - I use 0.2g/L less per week so by the end of flower at 10-12 weeks or so, I'm feeding water at 5.8pH plus calmag so I don't really need to do anything to flush - the coco is generally pretty well flushed by then and the plant is dying and not taking up much other than water as far as I can tell from looking at EC in and out in the hempy buckets.

I would probably have added calmag myself as well. I'm in perlite/vermiculite but I'm sure I could tweet it to work. Even if were to just buy the dry nutrients and adjust them to suit it would have to be more economical than buying all the additional nutes on the market.

Coco is very different from vermiculite because coco grabs and holds Ca and Mg - that's why you want it added in coco unless you already have it from super-hard water.

I've never used vermiculite but I'd start with whatever's recommended and learn to read what your plants are telling you..

The nutes aren't that expensive really at a few cents for a litre of solution?