How drug firms can access your sensitive health data

How drug firms can access your sensitive health data

May 11, 2018

INSURANCE companies will be banned from accessing sensitive information on a new online My Health Record that will be created for every Australian this year.

However, other third parties will be able to apply to access the health data under rules released by Health Minister Greg Hunt.

Australians who don’t want their private health data shared will have to take action to inform the government they want to keep it out of the hands of researchers and other interested parties.

Over five million Australians already have a My Health Record that contains sensitive health information including whether they have a mental illness, a sexually transmitted disease or an abortion.

Every Australian will be issued with such a record by the end of this year unless they specifically notify the government they do not want it.

The government has announced it wants to share the information on that record with researchers and other people including possibly pharmaceutical companies.

It issued a set of rules that will apply to those who wish to access the information.

The data can’t be used for commercial and non-health-related purposes, including direct marketing to consumers, insurance assessments, and eligibility for welfare benefits.

Insurance companies will not be able to access the data, the rules say.

An Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (AIHW) ethics committee will decide who can access the information.

A My Health Record Secondary Use of Data Governance Board will be responsible for, and release regular statements about, data availability and quality.

BUDGET SCARE: Patients pushed onto generic medicines

The rules will be reviewed two years after the first dataset is released.

Mr Hunt said health policy experts would use the information to better forecast emerging health trends and develop better health strategies to benefit Australians patients.

Anyone found breaching patient privacy will face severe penalties, including jail sentences.

It could be 2020 before the first release of My Health Record data to third parties, he said.

The Privacy Foundation said it was very concerned the government would not be asking the express consent or people to use their health data.

The government would assume people had given permission to share their health data with third parties unless they bothered to opt out, Privacy Foundation health committee spokesman Bernard Robertson Dunn said.

This was in direct contradiction with the consultation report which said express consent was best, he said.

Mr Robertson-Dunn said it was “interesting” the government had released the framework late on Friday during budget week when it was likely t attract little attention.

“When governments do that it looks suspicious,” he said.

Source: www.couriermail.com.au

• Upvote 2

what about the labour/green alliance, hope you saved a bit of hate for them,

what's wrong with big farmers anyway, all me neighbors are farmers, some of therm are big stnuc

Hahaha yeah i just hate them a little less than the libs. As for big farmers they just need to eat less lol.

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

They're all in on it, mate. Shit like this gets pushed through the Senate in the wee hours of the morning when no one is watching.

Just be sure to make the effort to opt out. If I find out how, I'll post here later

Sweet ill opting me whole family out

• Upvote 1

https://www.myhealthrecord.gov.au/for-you-your-family/howtos/opt-out

The Australian Government is expanding My Health Record for all Australians in 2018.

By the end of 2018, a My Health Record will be created for every Australian unless they choose not to have one.

How can I opt out?

If you decide that you don’t want a My Health Record created on your behalf, you will have the opportunity to tell us during a three-month opt-out period.

The dates for the opt-out period have not yet been announced by Parliament.

After the dates are announced, we will provide further information about how you can opt out of the My Health Record system.

Can I opt out now?

It’s not possible to opt out of having a My Health Record until the opt-out period starts. That’s because the My Health Record system currently works on an 'opt in' basis, which means that a My Health Record is not created for you unless you voluntarily choose to register for one.

• Upvote 1

Just opted out myself, came across a good story

https://www.couriermail.com.au/rendezview/as-a-doctor-heres-why-my-health-record-worries-me/news-story/0584c4b6ff55f2936fe4e84f3985bdb6?nk=b737cd8a97a39c45c0610a72db419b3e-1532601906

from Kerryn Phelps ex AMA director of all people.

worst case scenario is cops can look into your health record and see that you've told your doctor that you use cannabis and they can then target you somehow over it.

Just opted out myself, came across a good story

https://www.couriermail.com.au/rendezview/as-a-doctor-heres-why-my-health-record-worries-me/news-story/0584c4b6ff55f2936fe4e84f3985bdb6?nk=b737cd8a97a39c45c0610a72db419b3e-1532601906

from Kerryn Phelps ex AMA director of all people.

worst case scenario is cops can look into your health record and see that you've told your doctor that you use cannabis and they can then target you somehow over it.

See to me i think those putrid cnuts could use it in all sorts of manipulative ways, "oh old mates got some medical conditions, lets lock him up and withhold medications until he starts laggin on someone.