DIY Fabric Pots

So the missus got a sewing machine. I have some landscapers fabric in the shed.

I'm going to have a go at sewing my own fabric pots. Now I know the normal shapes I bought from ebay but if I am making one from scratch I have the chance to make it to the dimensions which would suit our plant the best.

So, short and squat or tall and narrow?

I grow in coco DTW.

MLG

post-61631-152532274174_thumb.jpegpost-61631-152532275214_thumb.jpeg

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

So the missus got a sewing machine. I have some landscapers fabric in the shed.

I'm going to have a go at sewing my own fabric pots. Now I know the normal shapes I bought from ebay but if I am making one from scratch I have the chance to make it to the dimensions which would suit our plant the best.

So, short and squat or tall and narrow?

I grow in coco DTW.

MLG

attachicon.gifIMG_20180503_144849.jpegattachicon.gifIMG_20180503_144900.jpeg

Tell her to use a UV thread. She should be able to get a type of polly properline thread from Spotlight and sew it 3 times close together, not on top of each other or it changes the strength of the fabric. Water lay the seams ( outer on top on the bottom so the water runs over the top stitch not getting caught in it).

Some really specific advice right there! Thanks! I'll actually be having a good myself at this as she's non the wiser about my hobby.

Water lay the seams? Not quite sure what this means. I'll need to do a bit of googling :)

Any advice on the dimensions? Tall and narrow or short and squat?

MLG

Easiest. Figure out how big you want the bottom. Circle is allways the easiest. A pin with a bit of string on it will help you draw a circle out. Add 20mm for seam. Lay cut out circle down and roll it from 1 point on outside edge back to starting edge. This give you your finished size. Then add 20mm/2cm to either vertical edge/ 4cm to overall length.

Side seam then its simple sew bottom into body. Put a mark on your machine with a bit of masking tap or pin together..

Easiest. Figure out how big you want the bottom. Circle is allways the easiest. A pin with a bit of string on it will help you draw a circle out. Add 20mm for seam. Lay cut out circle down and roll it from 1 point on outside edge back to starting edge. This give you your finished size. Then add 20mm/2cm to either vertical edge/ 4cm to overall length.

Side seam then its simple sew bottom into body. Put a mark on your machine with a bit of masking tap or pin together..

Height you would know way better than me how big...

if possible make the height more than 30 cms. the root system of cannabis really gets cranking at a good depth. I would even go a bit higher, as you can always roll the walls down at the beginning and roll them back up again when you need more height for mulch and topdress.

i use a 15 gallon smart pot (56 litres) which has a base of  approx 45cm and a height of 35cm. when adding soil, i like to only put in 2/3 of my soil mix  (about 40 or so litres). i roll down the sides about 8-10cm, so i still have a good lip to help if i get carried away with watering. when i add mulch or topdress later on, i roll the sides up as needed. this is also handy if you want to lst in a fabric pot, as the wider lip (from rolling over) is more sturdy and it is pretty easy to attach big metal clips to ... then run a bit of thin bamboo through the clip hole and you have an easy lst system. :)

i have a 'how to' some where on making fabric pots ... will look around a bit more. :)

Thanks Aquadoll. I'll do my best! I've a feeling there may be many practise runs before the final product is made :)

Sounds like you've made a few of these [emoji106]

MLG

lol even worse before going back and studying now I was working as a tradie in the caravan and camping game on big industrial machines as well.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk