Instatransplant cups

i think in the future il be starting my seedlings in little ice cream cones or in egg shell halfs, both just break down in the soil and egg shells provide a little extra calcium for plants to feed on, but usually i just plant straight into there final pots straight up when doing pots, no mucking around or stress on the plant

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

• Upvote 1

i think in the future il be starting my seedlings in little ice cream cones or in egg shell halfs, both just break down in the soil and egg shells provide a little extra calcium for plants to feed on, but usually i just plant straight into there final pots straight up when doing pots, no mucking around or stress on the plant

Haha ice cream cones....thats funny.

I used small inverted pots the last time i did autos.  Cut the bottom off the pot then put them in a tray upside down.... 

once they were ready to go in to their final pots, just slip the small pot straight up and over the plant.. was easy and didnt disturb the root mass at all. 

This pic was just before transplant to larger pots.

post-2463-0-55838700-1526416590_thumb.jpg

Great idea relaxxed, but I'd be a little hesitant about using something that's not biodegradable. There's a reason the market is flooded with biodegradable seed starting pots like jiffy pellets and jiffy pots (they break down in the soil and don't contain nasty chemicals) and why people using plastic pots, transplant. I don't want to seem like I'm just shitting on your idea, the concept is brilliant but perhaps it's worth finding a biodegradable alternative (plus plastic cups aint cheap compared to a lot of the alternatives).

Personally I use, toilet roll tubes and egg cartons. The main reason is, they're essentially free and will otherwise just end up being thrown out. And yes, I understand that eggs and toilet paper aren't free but most people I know wipe their arse with toilet paper and would consider it a household necessity (unless you're sportin one of them fancy bidets or use a stick and a rag) lol And eggs.... well if ya don't like eggs, there's something wrong with ya lol (apologies if I offend any vegans on the forums... bunch of weirdos <_< )

I keep a little stainless steel bin next to the loo and when a roll of bum fodder is done with, chuck the inner tube in the bin until it's full. They're cheap, easy and it's making use of something you'd already be buying anyway.

You can also make 4 vertical cuts about an inch long at the end of each tube and fold the flaps in so your choice of medium doesn't fall out the bottom. When you're ready to transplant/plant you can either unfold them and slip the plant out the bottom, use one of the cuts to rip up the entire length and just transplant like that, or simply pop them in the ground and let them do their thing (biodegrade).

Egg cartons are essentially the same but you just cut the individual cells apart and you've got little jiffy pots.

As far as I'm aware, neither toilet rolls nor egg cartons contain any harsh chemicals that will affect your seedlings and a million gardeners can't be wrong! If it's good enough for the mighty Monty Don, then it's good enough for me! lol

I've heard of using egg shells and it seems like a brilliant idea, only reason I haven't tried it is because cracking eggs is a pain already, nevertheless trying to crack em open well enough that they're deep enough for seeds. Ice ream cones is a new one though lol Kinda brilliant actually! As I read it, I thought hmm, I wonder what chemicals they add to ice cream cones but after a quick search, it seems they're completely natural (at least the coles and woolies homebrand ones). Good value too, woolies have 24pck for $1.25 and coles 30pck for $1.80 lol whilst jiffy pots are $6.88 for a 26pck and pellets are $12.89 for 36pck.... farkin criminals <_< (VIC prices btw)

Great idea GQ2!

I used small inverted pots the last time i did autos.  Cut the bottom off the pot then put them in a tray upside down.... 

once they were ready to go in to their final pots, just slip the small pot straight up and over the plant.. was easy and didnt disturb the root mass at all. 

This pic was just before transplant to larger pots.

attachicon.gifpost-2463-0-49438800-1391515272.jpg

BillyG for the win! lol If you're adamant on using plastic cups relaxxed then I reckon Billy has the answer right there!

A sibling use to use a similar method as bill, but with spent toilet rolls (cardboard bit). For a while I thought the chems/bleach used in the rolls might have some adverse effect on the seedlings, but they seem to handle well from what I seen.

Yup  :thumbsup:

Boil the eggs first , , slice the top n bottom off

Dig out n eat the boiled egg,fill with medium

The hole at the bottom makes it easier for the roots to escape n break the shell quicker

Personally this is way to much work for me , now I just put them straight into a plastic cup

Sent from my iPhone using OZ Stoners

Edited by micmac