How long until I'm harvesting?

Also, I believe in climate change and that it's been changing for a while and is slowly but surely accelerating. Mild environmental issues will be worsening. We all know the littlest destructive change to the environment has the opportunity to take hold and widespread damage that could take millions of years to reverse. It's happened before. Drier areas have less grass and more dust. Combine crazy high wind speeds across soil that isn't buffered with enough growth, you will get a fucked up top soil, that's just the truth.

Rapid cycling of extreme longer lasting than normal heat and then extreme longer lasting than normal rain with winds in an open area with not much growth buffering the dried top soil, it will affect the dust count that is settling on any given thing on this planet.

Mulching is an awesome way to combat this, but there isn't much mulching going on in the city and residential areas. Especially not by people, like me, who aren't familiar with growing.

My pot was not mulched. It was barely watered the first part of it's life and then probably watered too much until the last 4 of it's life. It was in shitty soil mix in a black plastic pot that got too much sun. I don't live amongst a lot of trees on at least two sides of where I'm growing. We have a lot of bare land that is dry of anything due to bushfires, poisons and trees being lopped constantly.

One bloke managed to get an entire row of roadside "council-owned" land completely chopped down. They were big strong gums that blocked the sun from his grazing paddocks. The bloke cover crops all year round, has irrigation wired in, good looking cattle that eat through his cover crops after growing each cycle. Looks like he employs the no-till method now I've learned more about cover cropping with live mulch. Smart dude. Smart dude probably wrote a letter to the council stating due to their advanced age and height and lack of maintenance, there was significant enough reasons for him to worry about the financial, physical and emotional stress of his family and livestock. By notifying them that he knew this info, the council doesn't have a leg to stand on in court or through insurance claims if one of those trees fall and fuck up his land. Usually happens around the time we get a torrential downpour that floods our usually dry local area. We're overdue for it. That usually sorts out airborne dust levels which is handy because we have a few opencut mines, quarries and lots of crop farming land. After those floods the soil gets all that moisture back into it in HUGE amounts. Areas that flood every few years grow amazing crops. It helps to fix the large periods of dry soil. It drowns. It completely changes the top level of soil before it loses too much life. With such opposites fluctuating in a rapid manner it weakens the root systems of large established trees and down they go!

That dude that got those trees cut down is smart for HIS environment, but not everyone else's. He's not the only person who would know this. Live cover cropper, no-till farmers have it figured it out. They know they can exchange trees for more sunlight because their top soil is always protected and giving life back to their produce. Because this is becoming more wildly known, we are experiencing huge amounts of deforestation. We can enrich our soil to compensate the trees with live cover crops and mulching to act as an erosion buffer. Unfortunately though we need trees to, like, house animals and make the oxygen we need to live.

I can attempt to control the environment effectively in MY garden and yard, but I can't control outside of it and with the amount of land being cleared as more clusterfucked housing communities crop up just down the road, I will be expecting worsening conditions with dust and debris in the air until the next flooding cycle helps to ease it. Look at how dust levels in the air affects lungs in people with asthma when there's a prolonged dry period. You fix it primarily with humidy. Low humidity, extreme wet/dry cycling area that's experiencing a lot of land clearing? Shit tonnes of dust and debris that cannot be shifted well enough from plant matter -- especially if it is to be consumed -- planted in soil without adequate mulching practices will simultaneously and easily spread and receive (yes, just like cheap women, ya filthy pricks) dust and debris. Especially if in unmulched pots that requires a wet/dry cycle.

So, you see, I'm not stupid. I don't think I deserve, myself, to be spoken down to. I just didn't adequately explain why I wanted to do this to my buds based on my specific environmental factors. Factors which are similar to the ones practiced in California where they experience similar extreme season cycling to parts of our country. I am new to growing, yes, but I am not new to researching the world around me. Finding an interest in growing as finally started connecting the puzzle pieces for me so I begin to understand the bigger picture my pieces of learned knowledge make as a collective whole.

It doesn't need to be said that I will always following growing advice from growing experts such as yourselves, but I may sometimes have to pave my own path with my specific environmental factors. I hope this will be the last misunderstanding and that we could all perhaps respect each other as adults and ask why a person is clinging to a particular belief before condeming them as an idiot that knows nothing. Find and fix the reason why they want to do the "dumb" thing not the "dumb" thing. Ask why and learn.

This drying, I'm going on the advice of you experienced growers because they got a small fine mist with de-chlor water before they were chopped after I saw the visible bug debris with my own eyes. After considering your information and piecing it with my own (aka conversation) I feel a fine mist will suffice for the reason I wanted to use that soak considering I'm buffered well enough with bushland. With the IPM I'm putting into my no-till soil, I expect any water coming near the buds while in flower will become close to obsolete.

I'm intending on sticking around here because you all have a wealth of shared knowledge with growing. Just try to remember I'm the only one growing to my environment and until you study those complexities in your own environment and know how important each of those local small changes and global huge changes are, you cannot tell a person not to do something for a tailored environmental reasoning. That's just ignorance.

I hope at least one person read this. I may waffle on but I do still have the right to completely explain myself without being treated like the weirdo. If I'm not giving all the right pieces of information, the large picture becomes a lot different.

Environmental control is the reason why growers moved indoors. Organic no-till growers get the best of both worlds. Fresh air, pest control, rain water AND that big fat old sun. Will be sorting out a more tailored soil mix to my environmental needs and I'm excited to show you guys what I can grow now that my learned life knowledge and your experienced growing knowledge is coming together with the help of nature and growing in it's purest form.

Td;dr I'm not a fuckwit, I'm trying to grow to my environmental needs. Dont think u dumb. Think u the smartest bunch around when it comes to growing the plants.

Special thanks to Itchy for giving me a chance and explaining kindly even when I was being a dumbarse.

first off , your giving up your power to people you've never met , your the farmer buck stops with you , your choice 

you'l almost , again , almost , never get a full agreement here for the exact reason you said , what works in my environment 

i only know my environment , & that's enough to worry about let alone having to be aware of your environment ,

sorry that's your gig , as i said , i got one of mi own to be concerned with 

it sort of seems like , to be your friend here people have to agree with you , not sure that's the case but does seem that way

if people were being nasty to you which i didn't catch shame on them , but in a public forum , once you put something out there

you have to take what ya get & you have to sort the info from the BS , one persons BS is another persons info & v a v 

the need to be right can block the need to be open minded 

very hard to chat via a keyboard , you don't get all the visual ques you get from face to face conversation 

i'm with billy , deep breath or 2 & chill 

why i wouldn't wash buds 

i'm a firm believer that terpenes are as important as cannabinoides 

if your a coffee drinker , you'd prob like if not love the smell of brewing coffee

smell of bread baking , the smell of a lamb roast , those smells are powerful 

they can make you salivate or even dry reach or vomit over a rotten smell 

now for anyone that's made water hash from a very fragrant canna strain , they would 

know the water smells exactly like the strain your using & the hash very little like the strain 

your using , cos terpenes are water soluble 

you could argue there's a bit of washing there , question is , how much washing needs to be done 

to be considered cleaned & would that be B4 or after loss of terpenes , i believe in there importance 

so i wouldn't want to risk it , i would look many step B4 & try stopping contaminates in the first place 

like building a greenhouse

again , this is  just me talkin bout me , you take it or leave it , you are the master of your domain 

Edited by itchybromusic
  • Upvote 1

Not interested in convincing or forcing any of my opinions down anyone's throat. Just explaining how certain environmental problems with land clearing and extreme weather cycling in some areas can end up causing more problems with dusty, harsh buds that should have a clean off with a spray mist before harvest to limit the high numbers of built up dust and bug shit before consuming. In areas with just enough rain or heaps of rain, airborne pathogens wouldn't be a huge problem to bud consumption but the problem there would be bud rot. In areas with not much rain outdoors, the problem will be more with harsh tasting smoke than bud rot. I put mine in a temp greenhouse to keep them warmer over night and we've had a bit of high humidity.

After doing my own research and listening to your experiences with bud washing, it does seem stupid to dunk them after harvest, but I think I've figured out a happy medium of balance between this idea and the usual methods if I'm ever presented with these growing conditions and pest and dust problems again.

All good, guys! Enjoy your day and thanks for the info and inspo x

first off , your giving up your power to people you've never met , your the farmer buck stops with you , your choice

you'l almost , again , almost , never get a full agreement here for the exact reason you said , what works in my environment

i only know my environment , & that's enough to worry about let alone having to be aware of your environment ,

sorry that's your gig , as i said , i got one of mi own to be concerned with

it sort of seems like , to be your friend here people have to agree with you , not sure that's the case but does seem that way

if people were being nasty to you which i didn't catch shame on them , but in a public forum , once you put something out there

you have to take what ya get & you have to sort the info from the BS , one persons BS is another persons info & v a v

the need to be right can block the need to be open minded

very hard to chat via a keyboard , you don't get all the visual ques you get from face to face conversation

i'm with billy , deep breath or 2 & chill

why i wouldn't wash buds

i'm a firm believer that terpenes are as important as cannabinoides

if your a coffee drinker , you'd prob like if not love the smell of brewing coffee

smell of bread baking , the smell of a lamb roast , those smells are powerful

they can make you salivate or even dry reach or vomit over a rotten smell

now for anyone that's made water hash from a very fragrant canna strain , they would

know the water smells exactly like the strain your using & the hash very little like the strain

your using , cos terpenes are water soluble

you could argue there's a bit of washing there , question is , how much washing needs to be done

to be considered cleaned & would that be B4 or after loss of terpenes , i believe in there importance

so i wouldn't want to risk it , i would look many step B4 & try stopping contaminates in the first place

like building a greenhouse

again , this is just me talkin bout me , you take it or leave it , you are the master of your domain

Nicely quoted [emoji108]

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app