Watering, first grow.

I think the advantage to the fabric pots is they “air prune” the root system. They also provide better runoff and soil aeration. So I’ve read. Sorry. Little experience, lots of reading.

Don't be sorry, that's all I've been doing for a month! Reading so much and trying to cram as much info in my head as I can. Fabric pots seem the business, also rocket pots look pretty cool, too. Thinking of giving them a whirl with my photo.

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

havnt tried either but from a read the fabric pots with handles look good for the money, being able to move them without getting a bush face plant would be handy lol . consistently in the ground has always out performed pots for me, in areas like watering workload and yield, ive had a few bad experiences with pots drying out when i was to busy or away to water them, it hasnt happened in the ground, theres enuf rain  in my area to keep the ground moist but pots dry quick.

Don't be sorry, that's all I've been doing for a month! Reading so much and trying to cram as much info in my head as I can. Fabric pots seem the business, also rocket pots look pretty cool, too. Thinking of giving them a whirl with my photo.

I know... how good is this forum?! And no worries

So far so good with the soil/coco mix. I agree about wanting to make less of an environmental impact, but also I want to be smoking pure clean weed.

Although the soil I used is just a premium Bunnings soil... so nowhere near organic which is what I want to do eventually. I’ve got this book called ‘Backyard Bounty’ which is all about organic veggie growing... but it has sooo much info on making your own organic soils, fertilisers, mulch, everything! So I’m keen to give it a go once we move and have some outdoor space [emoji108]

Oooh... nice! Good luck on the new seed and keep us updated.

GG

Sent from my iPhone using OZ Stoners

• Upvote 1

I know... how good is this forum?! And no worries

So far so good with the soil/coco mix. I agree about wanting to make less of an environmental impact, but also I want to be smoking pure clean weed.

Although the soil I used is just a premium Bunnings soil... so nowhere near organic which is what I want to do eventually. I’ve got this book called ‘Backyard Bounty’ which is all about organic veggie growing... but it has sooo much info on making your own organic soils, fertilisers, mulch, everything! So I’m keen to give it a go once we move and have some outdoor space [emoji108]

Oooh... nice! Good luck on the new seed and keep us updated.

GG

Cheers for that! Might go and give it a read so I'm ready to hit the ground running with my veggie patch. Gonna go looking to score some pallets so I can knock up a 3 station compost bin soon. Worm farm will be happening too. Will take a while to get it to where I want it but nothing worth it is ever quick. Will be good to turn food that nature gave me into something to give back to nature. Love this stuff more the more I learn.

Hope your grow keeps powering GG, gonna go and have a dirty lurk through your threads. Have a good Easter, mate!

I froth fabric pots [emoji48]

I'm frothin the fab a bit too, Unc, if I'm perfectly honest. My clone is loving me for transplanting her out of the shitty soil and plastic pot she was potted up in to come to me. Was looking like she was gonna die before I sorted her into a fabric pot with my soil mix [emoji108]

Trying Bunning premium mix today when i put the autos in final pots. Will blend up a heap of veg peelings and a over ripe banana in a bit of water to help.

I mixed in some Osmocote Premium plus Organics when I was skint with one of my other soil parts, because I had it laying around. Will be interesting to see how the ones that were potted up in my preferred mix go and the ones that had the Osmocote added to it. Same as my next lot of seeds. Gonna drop one into coco/perlite, one into peat/perlite and one into the Osmocote seed raising mix I picked up to plant some veggie seedlings into in a couple weeks. Have a little cheap but effective hot house to pop the veggie seedlings into so I can have a headstart for spring.

That liquid fert sounds pretty interesting, Doll. Will be watching how it goes for you. My nutrients will be coming from my compost mix and worm tea, and I'm not going to really be giving them anything until they start to tell me they need it. Will have to come from a bottle, but I already have my organic Charlie Carp ready to go if I need to give them a little boost at all. Also going to be mulching my pots to help feed the soil next week.

Have a good one, Doll!

I know nothing really but being good at something means getting the basics correct every time.

A few things I have learned.

Fabric pots good for root growth sure. Air pruning, all that. Yeah good.

Can be a pain to water however as the liquid can just run out the side.

As a wise man mentioned to me, besides dunking them in water, hard to get the medium consistently to the same moisture.

If you move them around a bit, the sides of the medium can get disturbed and crack due to the way the sides of the pot move when you pick them up. Not a terrible thing but sometimes if the mulch is fine, some can disappear down the side. Happens with handles or no handles. I guess the roots can be disturbed easier.

They can be a pain to transplant out of.

If autos you should probably not be repotting much, or at all.

The plastic rocket pots address some of these problems as they are more rigid than fabric.

I have overwatered in the past. Takes a lot longer for plant to recover when underwatered. Underwatering is better than overwatering. Takes like an hour to recover from underwatering and don't have the added risk of attracting bugs to an overwet medium.

Any vege\fruit blend I'm not sure about. Should be composted before use for best effect.

Adding ewc\neem\kelp\mbp boosts a bagged soil. Every time. Every brand. I sieve some of the non composted wood chip out before I amend.

If Ur playing with compost piles and worm farms. Mixing your own soil is something you should do.

Itchys mix is a good mix.

When you get your key ingredients, it's probably not much more than bagged stuff and a lot better imo.