“It really puzzles me to see marijuana connected with narcotics dope and all of that stuff. It is a thousand times better than whiskey. It is an assistant and a friend.”

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

If you read about the reasons it ended up illegal is purely political and nothing to do with negative health effects or society. If you're making a comparison to alcohol it is like a comparison of Mother Terese to Joseph Stalin. Not saying alcohol should be banned but it definitely causes a lot of problems in society with the wrong people. Myself included. Edited by Maxlass

If you read about the reasons it ended up illegal is purely political and nothing to do with negative health effects or society. If you're making a comparison to alcohol it is like a comparison of Mother Terese to Joseph Stalin. Not saying alcohol should be banned but it definitely causes a lot of problems in society with the wrong people. Myself included.

Could ya tell us the what, where and why

Could ya tell us the what, where and why

If you're talking about prohibition it started in the US in the early 1900s. Even though cannabis was used in common medication the States started to have a lot of immigration problems from Mexico. Cannabis was one of the things that the Mexicans bought in with them. This is when it started to be referred to as Marihuana. They tried to regulate and ban the use but found it hard to actually implement the law along with regulating it and enforcement. This went on for years until the 70s. This was the time when they started the classification system of schedule drugs. In the 70s there was a certain stigma associated with "Marihuana" and it was associated with the so called hippies who disagreed with the governments involvement in the Vietnam war so the government really started to clamp down in its usage. It become classified as a narcotic and laws passed and it became the nasty drug for years. In recent times it has started to lose its bad reputation and the individual states are beginning to come to their senses. As for other countries we tend to follow the US and our laws were the same.

That's my interpretation of how it went down. If you have another view please feel free to share :)

What does that have to do with Australia

It was the 1925 Geneva convention on narcotics control, organised by the league of nations

that outlawed pot here

the Septics weren't there, they never joined

They copied that shit from the Poms

Thanks for the clarification. Yeah I researched it ages ago and assumed like everything else we were the sheep to the US. Either way it is a bullshit law that takes away law enforcement resources that could more effectively used on real problems.