Is Eco-oil safe to use during flowering?

Anyone used eco-oil to get rid of whiteflies and thinks it is safe to spray during flowering?

I had an outbreak of whiteflies in the greenhouse today and was wondering if anyone know if spraying organic eco-oil was safe during flowering?

I have moved a couple of trap plants (mexican marigold) and sprayed with the oil. Also have placed aluminum foil around the base which is supposed to draw them away from the plant and also sprayed all around the greenhouse with the eco oil already.

The indirect technique has worked before but don't want the flowering to be hindered and also don't want to poison myself when i harvest and smoke that shit up ;)

This is the spray bottle:

post-62806-0-05587300-1521267946_thumb.png  post-62806-0-25667200-1521267965_thumb.png

And here are the pests and also the greenhouse:

post-62806-0-11511900-1521267981_thumb.png  post-62806-0-77860200-1521267926_thumb.png

any pesticide sprayed in flower has a good chance of still being there come harvest 

in most cases no testing has been done on these pesticides with open flame because 

there mainly used on fruit & veg , this they have testing for , still not sure i'd want it on my

fruit & veg but at least there is testing to consider 

indirect technique is good & anything you can use to boost plant health via a drench is also good 

as well as the indirect technique what about bugs for bugs

predatory mite https://bugsforbugs.com.au/whats-your-pest/whiteflies/

• Upvote 1

Hi Itchy,

i had released some green lacewings that i got off of ebay that did the trick but they are bloody expensive and at the time i hadn't planted other plants that provide a foodsource to keep them around for future outbreaks.

So.. unfortunately they moved on elsewhere to look for food after they had eaten all the whiteflies :(

I have since planted a seed mix of plants that attract beneficial insects to my garden so i was hoping they'd come back eventually.

The auto that is getting attacked isn't big so i am killing the crawlers on the underside of leaves and flies by hand which is working. I just have to do it daily as the eggs hatch till they are gone. Plant should be ready soon anyway hopefully.

Just looked at that site u posted and it's way cheaper than what i paid off ebay and looks like i was already using one of their products (the yellow sticky fly trap). Cheers for the info!

yeah using live predators requires a lill different thinking to the , put it in a bottle & spray it method 

yellow sticky traps are a must indoors , sometimes there your first site of poss future infestations

i've used nematodes indoors B4 which worked well , they were a lill expensive due to the smallest amount 

you could buy Vs the amount i needed in the garden Vs how long they keep in the fridge 

have also learnt recently a lill more about there application regarding water suspension & sprayer bottle used 

as time moves on & more people like me email these guys saying , package them in smaller amounts & make 

it a lill cheaper to purchase & maybe they'd have more of a market , but i have no idea how bug farming works 

costs involved ect  

• Upvote 1

Here is the seedmix i got from the same place as the green lacewings:

post-62806-0-51271600-1521403714_thumb.png    post-62806-0-05340700-1521403734_thumb.png

Not the right time of year to sow them but i have put some in to see what happens...

sweet

yeah there are a few seed mixes round like 

https://www.greenharvest.com.au/SeedOrganic/FlowerSeeds/GoodBugMix.html

mixes prob very similar to each other , annuals , perennials , ground cover & tall plants 

i think the rule of thumb is plant 10% of your garden with beneficial plants  

this guys got it happening https://youtu.be/iX9mQNswJrw

I dont bother too much nowadays with all the sprays, and I’m sure the beneficial insects are thanking me for it. Sure my plants get munched on a little. Mainly grasshoppers atm.

Bean plants decoy ant/aphids in my patch. Ginger, basil repel rah rah rah.

Trying these to see if these will work. Cut down bamboo. House for bugs. The good ones I hope. If it works I’ll slap some more up.

post-62971-0-36269200-1521415697_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Try Blu
  • Upvote 1

not sure what is in eco-oil, but looked through my notes and found a post by Jerry from the grasscity forum ... he has been doing no-tills for donkeys (nearly as long as cc from what I can tell) and offers heaps of good advice. below is his comment about spraying neem during flower (not sure this will help with whitefly ... but just in case) ...

I too run a perpetual flower room. I made the mistake of telling myself that I couldn't spray because I was certainly going to ruin my flowers - boy was that a mistake. Big mistake - I paid the price.

Through trial and error I discovered that I could safely spray a neem oil solution on my flowering plants at the rate of a measured half teaspoon per gallon up to 3-4 weeks from harvest with no fear of neem taste/smell on the finished product. These days I simply keep the farthest along plants on one side of the room and just stop spraying when I'm 3-4 weeks from harvest.

Neither me or anyone I give my buds to has ever voiced a complaint. You certainly just can't stop spraying in a perpetual garden.

I learned the hard way. I haven't seen a single mite in a very long time and I only use a half teaspoon of Ahimsa neem oil and powdered silica in my big red sprayer once a week.
jerry
_________

Try Blu ... that bamboo stack looks amazing :)

Edited by pug1010

I dont bother too much nowadays with all the sprays, and I’m sure the beneficial insects are thanking me for it. Sure my plants get munched on a little. Mainly grasshoppers atm.

Bean plants decoy ant/aphids in my patch. Ginger, basil repel rah rah rah.

Trying these to see if these will work. Cut down bamboo. House for bugs. The good ones I hope. If it works I’ll slap some more up.

attachicon.gifC971C37A-8CE3-42AF-958B-6C7AE117FE87.jpeg

yep that's a good idea along with attracting the good guys to live in a 10 story apartment complex 

not sure what is in eco-oil, but looked through my notes and found a post by Jerry from the grasscity forum ... he has been doing no-tills for donkeys (nearly as long as cc from what I can tell) and offers heaps of good advice. below is his comment about spraying neem during flower (not sure this will help with whitefly ... but just in case) ...

I too run a perpetual flower room. I made the mistake of telling myself that I couldn't spray because I was certainly going to ruin my flowers - boy was that a mistake. Big mistake - I paid the price.

Through trial and error I discovered that I could safely spray a neem oil solution on my flowering plants at the rate of a measured half teaspoon per gallon up to 3-4 weeks from harvest with no fear of neem taste/smell on the finished product. These days I simply keep the farthest along plants on one side of the room and just stop spraying when I'm 3-4 weeks from harvest.

Neither me or anyone I give my buds to has ever voiced a complaint. You certainly just can't stop spraying in a perpetual garden.

I learned the hard way. I haven't seen a single mite in a very long time and I only use a half teaspoon of Ahimsa neem oil and powdered silica in my big red sprayer once a week.

jerry

_________

Try Blu ... that bamboo stack looks amazing :)

jerry , the missing finger avatar man  , def been no tillin for quite a white , wealth of knowledge 

Thanks for the advice guys. The manual removal method and yellow traps are working at the moment, but i will definitely look at getting some neem and powdered silica as well as something like the bamboo apartment complex. In the long run the IPM will be the way to go i think but handy to have options when things get out of hand. I usually keep a close eye on the plants but was caught napping this time. I will be letting that seed mix run wild in the garden and now that the colder/wetter weather is going to start being a pain in the arse i'll probably be using the greenhouse will have to pot some up as well. I will be doing a few autos in the greenhouse with supplemental lighting and heating during the colder months to keep my hobby and medicine going, so i'm sure i will be calling on the knowledge of the pros again in no time :friends: