How EXACTLY do you check trichomes?

Hey y'all :-)

I got my 60x loupe and it delivers. I understand what to look for in relation to clear, milky and amber trichomes plus different percentages of each depending on your personal preference. But how do you really check them? Do you snip away at your buds (no thankyou)? Do you just check calyxes? Do you study your upper most buds and examine the outsides or do you pull the cola apart some and study the inner parts?

I have a majority of milky trics on the outsides but clear on the inner parts of the buds. Or do you randomly check parts of the plant and see if most of the trics are how you like them? I can't really find an answer that covers this.

I'm seeing the occasional amber trics on the extremities so I'm close. Just looking for a more concrete method.

PS: The plant is an outdoor skunk.

Thanks peeps!

Peace.

Hey Tictac,

I primarily look at the crowns, now admittedly I strip 90% of the undergrowth out from underneath of mine. But then I'm indoor and I SCROG, but in saying that I examine/inspect the buds all over the plant and look for an 'average' of 80/20 brown/milky. Being outdoor you'll probably find some will be brown where others will still be milky and this is why I say 'average' over the whole plant.

DO NOT be opening the buds up to inspect further inside the bud. There is a high possibility by opening them up that you will damage where the bud meets the stem. This will cause the damaged stem to weep and that weeping can encourage mould. So it's a gentle inspection.

Hope it helps

Merl1n

• Upvote 1

Mate, b4 I joined osa I didn’t use a loupe for 35 odd years

As Merlin suggested the crowns r a good place to start, generally I look at the seed pods, even though it’s not been pollinated it still will produce these pods

When they look like they’re the size that would normally hold a mature seed

A couple of brown hairs will look like they’re coming out of it

This is a sign that it’s ready or very close

This is what made me look with loupe to confirm

To do that I just put the loupe on the plant and focused, no removal or damage

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using OZ Stoners

• Upvote 1

Hey Tictac,

I primarily look at the crowns, now admittedly I strip 90% of the undergrowth out from underneath of mine. But then I'm indoor and I SCROG, but in saying that I examine/inspect the buds all over the plant and look for an 'average' of 80/20 brown/milky. Being outdoor you'll probably find some will be brown where others will still be milky and this is why I say 'average' over the whole plant.

DO NOT be opening the buds up to inspect further inside the bud. There is a high possibility by opening them up that you will damage where the bud meets the stem. This will cause the damaged stem to weep and that weeping can encourage mould. So it's a gentle inspection.

Hope it helps

Merl1n

Thanks Merl1n...

So you just check the outsides of the colas and look for 20% amber and 80% milky? Do you find any clear trics at all or are they all gone by this stage? Just curious because some say that new trics are appearing all the time.

Cheers for your help :-)

Mate, b4 I joined osa I didn’t use a loupe for 35 odd years

As Merlin suggested the crowns r a good place to start, generally I look at the seed pods, even though it’s not been pollinated it still will produce these pods

When they look like they’re the size that would normally hold a mature seed

A couple of brown hairs will look like they’re coming out of it

This is a sign that it’s ready or very close

This is what made me look with loupe to confirm

To do that I just put the loupe on the plant and focused, no removal or damage

Hope this helps

Hi micmac :-)

Do you choose random colas or what (after checking the pods)? What exactly do you look at after visual confirmation from the pods? And do you harvest with clear trics still present? What sort of percentage?

I've got browning pistils now - not many - maybe 10 to 15% but quite a few milky trics but still have clear ones too. I think I may have a week to go atm...

Cheers for your help mate :-)

Mate as Merlin said they keep making new ones, the more u can get the better of course

On mine through the loupe there r also a few clear ones the rest divided between milky light amber and some dark amber

The seed husks usually will be the same all around plant , I check what I can reach comfortably with loupe starting at the top and checking a few lower down

To be honest I never can notice the difference between smoking main colas, which I don’t normally have, or any other part of the plant

My experience is that a smaller bud should taste n smoke the same as the top

Again this is just my experience, worked well for a long time so I’m not going to be changing anything soon

• Upvote 1

Mate as Merlin said they keep making new ones, the more u can get the better of course

On mine through the loupe there r also a few clear ones the rest divided between milky light amber and some dark amber

The seed husks usually will be the same all around plant , I check what I can reach comfortably with loupe starting at the top and checking a few lower down

To be honest I never can notice the difference between smoking main colas, which I don’t normally have, or any other part of the plant

My experience is that a smaller bud should taste n smoke the same as the top

Again this is just my experience, worked well for a long time so I’m not going to be changing anything soon

Ah ok. Cheers mate. That makes sense. Now I'm really excited. I'm on the home straight! :-)
  • Upvote 1