Drying

There are so many recommendations on different drying methods out there about drying and curing your product I was wondering what is the best method for maintaining quality and aroma. Haven't grown in a while but my method seemed to work. Mine was based on my own theories and not based on science just personal experience. So here is how I used to go about it. When I was nearing time to harvest I would not feed my plants in the last two to three weeks just water. When they were ready I would stop watering completely and wait for the plant to show signs of stress and then pull the whole plant roots and all, wash the remaining dirt from the roots and hang them upside down indoors. Once the leaves are relatively dry I then trim off the leaf and cut off the buds and put them in a large storage tub in an air conditioned room with the lid off for around and hour a day turning it each day. Once it is as dry as I wanted it I'd bag it and voila. My theory was that letting the plant stress before pulling it would make it push resin out and again hanging upside down force everything to the buds. All my plants were grown outdoors. I'd also try and harvest around full moon if possible as I was told that plants resinate more around full moon. This was just based on my theories and advice received so let me know if there is any science backing this or if I'm doing it wrong.

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

Edited by Maxlass

I have read that hanging whole plants to dry does what you have just said. And most people flush their plants before harvest. Or give them a couple days dark as well.. there's heaps of different ways to do it mate. Whatever works for you. I'm trying a fridge dry and cure at some stage because I've read that low temps and a slower drying time retains alot of terpenes etc

Alot of learning out there...

• Upvote 1

hi max 

depending on which grow method , organic guys are finishing plants off these days with simple sugars rather than plain water 

debatable but to each there own 

in the no till growing community they would not pull the whole root system as it would be food for the soil life & next plant to

be plugged in to that spot or plot  

depending on humidity & how much handling the plant will need once chopped , i might remove the big fan leaves first B4 chop

high humidity , & i'll pull the fans , if i'm going to handle the plant a bit , then leave the fan leaves on as bud protection from handling

lots of biodynamic growing info in regards to moon cycles , planting & harvesting 

i think the hanging upside down is more convenience than anything else  , easier to do it that way , laying it on something can be a prob 

as T mentioned temps any drying temps over 26c & your loosing terps , some monoterpenes will flash off as low as 20-21c

control of temp & humidity is important while drying 

i would also add harvest in the morning , the sun has beat down on the plant all day , T heads are renewed at night fresh in the morning 

for the next day of sun , if you walk out to your plant & can just sell it with out touching , terpes are in the air & not in the plant , harvest in the morning B4 sun gets on the plant 

hi max

depending on which grow method , organic guys are finishing plants off these days with simple sugars rather than plain water

debatable but to each there own

in the no till growing community they would not pull the whole root system as it would be food for the soil life & next plant to

be plugged in to that spot or plot

depending on humidity & how much handling the plant will need once chopped , i might remove the big fan leaves first B4 chop

high humidity , & i'll pull the fans , if i'm going to handle the plant a bit , then leave the fan leaves on as bud protection from handling

lots of biodynamic growing info in regards to moon cycles , planting & harvesting

i think the hanging upside down is more convenience than anything else , easier to do it that way , laying it on something can be a prob

as T mentioned temps any drying temps over 26c & your loosing terps , some monoterpenes will flash off as low as 20-21c

control of temp & humidity is important while drying

i would also add harvest in the morning , the sun has beat down on the plant all day , T heads are renewed at night fresh in the morning

for the next day of sun , if you walk out to your plant & can just sell it with out touching , terpes are in the air & not in the plant , harvest in the morning B4 sun gets on the plant

Thanks for your input. I might be ok where I live now as temperature is a bit lower but to achieve those lower temps I'd have to hang them indoors which would stink the whole house out which I probably wouldn't mind but the wife and kids would. Is there an alternative way that you can suggest. The reason I finish drying in the aircon is for the reasons you suggest, cool and dry but I may have ready have lost some of the oils as you mentioned. I do try harvest in the morning for the reasons you suggest. I grew in the bush in the ground or pots so wasn't worried about leaving the roots for next crop. Where I am now I have a greenhouse and plan on planting mung beans or another legume in the "off season" as a kind of cover crop and soil improved. This will be turned into the soil. Call me weird but I also plant with moon cycles :)

unfortunately there are no work round terpenes & temps at which they gas off , mono and sesquiterpenes are as important as cannabinoids imho 

mono's tend to be the easiest to loose , this is important to enjoying toking , if your strain is full of mostly mono's & your someone who likes a joint 

the first tokes get all the flav , the heat as you drag in the first couple times gases off the mono's leaving none of the nice flav a 1/4 way in to a joint 

if your a pipe smoker then mono's aren't a prob as you smoke in single hits 

unless i was going to use the roots for something in particular , then i feel it's just extra work cleaning dirt off root systems B4 hanging 

i don't think it adds anymore or takes anything away , roots being in ya dry space or not , is why i say just seems like extra work 

cover cropping is def a good idea & a reason to leave roots in the ground , what they take out , must be put back in 

add some daikon radishes to your N fixing living mulch / cover crop  

• Upvote 1

Had a jar I forgot to put top back on , it got really dry n lost a bit of flavour n taste as well as smell

I put some gear back in , orange peel , more gear n orange peel on top for 4 hrs with lid secure

Checked every hr, once it had rehydrated I notice that the it came back , not to its original state but close

Yes there is a hint or citrus flavour but it has also seemed to give it back most of its flavour

The orange peel feels dry when u remove it

Burped again next day, it’s a lot better than it was, admittedly it didn’t lose its potency even when that dry , just lacked taste n body

Sent from my iPhone using OZ Stoners

unfortunately there are no work round terpenes & temps at which they gas off , mono and sesquiterpenes are as important as cannabinoids imho

mono's tend to be the easiest to loose , this is important to enjoying toking , if your strain is full of mostly mono's & your someone who likes a joint

the first tokes get all the flav , the heat as you drag in the first couple times gases off the mono's leaving none of the nice flav a 1/4 way in to a joint

if your a pipe smoker then mono's aren't a prob as you smoke in single hits

unless i was going to use the roots for something in particular , then i feel it's just extra work cleaning dirt off root systems B4 hanging

i don't think it adds anymore or takes anything away , roots being in ya dry space or not , is why i say just seems like extra work

cover cropping is def a good idea & a reason to leave roots in the ground , what they take out , must be put back in

add some daikon radishes to your N fixing living mulch / cover crop

Just had a quick read about daikin radishes. So when using as a cover crop do you harvest the radishes or just turn them into the soil? I understand how they might till the soil with their large root but do they add nutrient to the soil like a legume?

i like the no till philosophy  so i'd leave the radish where they are just chop the top off to use as mulch or N in the compost pile 

& let the worms & other composters consume it under ground  , & as worms come & go from consuming the radish they aerate the soil 

whatever the radish took out of the ground to grow , gets put back via feeding the soil life who spit it back out to feed your plant , it's only once

something is taken to be consumed is when organic matter needs replacing in the soil , remembering the soil life itself is part of the nutrient cycle 

as they consume each other 

• Upvote 2