Activated carbon

I made one a coupla days ago out of an old 10 litre maxi bucket & a bit of 4" pipe. Drilled holes for friggen hours, wrapped both in stockings and used a mix of a bag of bunnings charcoal ($7, 5 litres all crushed up with a hammer) and a coupla bags of activated pellets from the pet shop ($10 for 1.2kg, farken exy!)

The charcoal lumps acted like a bit of filler, need less exy pellets and still pulls the odour out.

$30 for the bits, lucky my time ain't worth squat or this would work out to be at least a $750 filter ;)

cheers

Yeah, the old activated carbon pellets don't come cheap. Best price I could muster up was $150 for a 25kg bag, and that was about 10 year ago.

You could probably hit up some Homebrew supply shops as well, because from what I've gathered they using it for filtering as well. If you're looking for bulk, they might be able to help you out.

Keep in mind though, when they pack or repack growroom Carbon filters, they assembly the inner and outer sleeve, and then put it on shaker and tip the pellets in. By the time they're done, the pellets are packed real tight between the two sleeves.

I'm trying to save a few bucks by making my own carbon filter. Does anyone know where to get cheap activated carbon from? Can I use anything else apart from activated carbon?

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

Don't do it. Spend a bit extra and get a proper one like a Phresh. I went down your path and tried too. Eventually you'll find that there's a lot of mucking around and you'll always be wondering if it's good enough. Never get complacent about the stealth factor. Only takes one person walking past your grow and an anonymous phone call to the poo poo and you're busted.

As with all equipment, first decide if you want to grow, then be prepared to fork out for decent grow gear so dont need to replace. I made that mistake with lights and the filter...learn from me!

• Upvote 1

Thanks guys,

I just gotta bite the bullet and buy one. I can get a cheap one for about $150. I really don't think I'd save much after purchasing the materials to build one (maybe $50, not including labour). Compared to the piece of miind knowing that it's done right and performing the way it should, is a very small price to pay indeed.

Thanks again. Sage advice.

• Upvote 1

Yea, your probably right. Getting the best that money can buy, USUALLY leads to good results and totally worth the outlay (unless your building roads, thats allways seems a bit hit and miss, no matter how much money they throw at it.. lol). The reality is I can only wring so much blood from this stone. I will have to look at it before I spend any cash and get the best quality I can for my budget.

• Upvote 1