Soil Amendments

Hey Mateys,

please point me to any good threads if this topic has been done to death :P

I been outdoor growing for a while but because my bank account is always been in the minus haha I have always just scraped up what I can get for

making my holes (usually consists of some searls 5 in 1 cow shit and dolomite) this year I'm thinking into the future and want

to go all out and get all the extras goodies. My question is and sorry if it's silly I've only just started looking into more sophisticated ways of growing thb,

I'm looking to do a fair few holes for next season which will take a while and was wondering can a hole be cooked for to long to the point i would be wasting money from it loosing goodness or would it be better? would I be better off just digging the holes then buying and mixing all the ingredients a month or two out instead? again sorry if this is a silly question.

peace

Axi

Depending on what your mixing up I was under the impression that if you cook the soil for four months or so was optimum.

To be honest. I’m much in the same boat as you always strapped in the up and coming months to planting but besides this season I’ve done ok with mixing up the week or two before I’ve needed it

Sent from my iPhone using OZ Stoners

gentlemen , all you need is in the ground , how do you get plant nutrients out of the ground = Grow Plants = Cover Cropping / Green Manure = Nutrient Cycling 

Grow Roots guys , do very lill digging , maybe building up a lill barrier to keep mulch in the one spot 

first attract the worms to the spot with moist backyard mulch , greens & browns , even finding worms in the backyard & adding them 

let it breakdown a lill then add a cover crop , never let the cover crop go to seed , chop & drop as more mulch in your plot 

& re plant another cover crop , roots will attract beneficial's , fix nitrogen & condition the soil  

you can buy cover crop seed mix for winter & summer cheaply in larger quantities , last lot i got was 400g of mixed seed 

not only will you plant those seeds but you can also make a enzymatic nutrient seed sprout teas 

https://www.edenseeds.com.au/?name=Product-Info-Seeds&product=green-manure-mix-autumn-winter

http://greenharvest.com.au/SeedOrganic/CoverCrops/GreenManureCoolSeason.html

• Upvote 1

Thanks guys!! Itchy I have followed a fair few of your posts and you seem to have an insane amount of knowledge of organics! this would save me a massive amount of work ;)

have you got any grow diary's on here at all? or any that you would recommend checking out? I remember reading a post I think it was you mentioning a good book on organics.

I have always had reasonably good results from my grows in the past from just doing a bitta this and a bitta that but the older I get the more interested I'm becoming in organics

and doing it properly but there is just soo much info out there it's hard to find a good starting base.

thanks

Axi

A good place to start is to get a good compost pile, tub, box and start adding all the good things into that and by the time you need it by next season it sho uld be lovely and rich in nutrients, get some good qaulity manures and start ageing them, if yoiu already have some holes dug get some fishes any type will do salt or fresh does the job and you can get those into the holes now and cover them back with dirt and leave to decay till your ready, compost and manures can go in closer to planting time, i love compost plants love it too,,,GQ

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

hey there axa 

thanks for the kind words 

unfortunately i'm not much a of a diary writer , i'll get one together one day ! 

best book i'd suggest is not about growing canna , it's about growing & understanding microbes 

Jeff Lowenfels , Teaming with microbes , based on the work by Dr Elaine Ingham & her work with 

The Soil Food Web , lots of youtube vids with Dr Elaine Ingham to checkout & a few canna pod casts 

with lowenfels , from memory She was on The Adam Dunn Show & he was on Hash church 2.0 

as a starting point for canna i mostly direct people here https://buildasoil.com/pages/the-complete-system

or to this thread & it's first post on another forum https://forum.grasscity.com/threads/no-till-gardening-revisited.1400505/

you can grow simply & use very lill outside inputs if you think ahead & are a lill more prepared than you would need to be with bottled nutes 

add to that , there's nothing wrong with optimizing your grow by adding outside or brought inputs 

+1 GQ 's homemade compost / castings , these are your local indigenous microorganisms , these guys already speak each other's language

& are a source for tea making , soil mixing & top dressing , both will inoculate whatever they are added too or multiply themselves in a tea 

as you can see there are many ways to go about organics , just a matter of what works for you & inputs your comfortable obtaining & using  

Thanks guys!! Itchy I have followed a fair few of your posts and you seem to have an insane amount of knowledge of organics! this would save me a massive amount of work ;)

have you got any grow diary's on here at all? or any that you would recommend checking out? I remember reading a post I think it was you mentioning a good book on organics.

I have always had reasonably good results from my grows in the past from just doing a bitta this and a bitta that but the older I get the more interested I'm becoming in organics

and doing it properly but there is just soo much info out there it's hard to find a good starting base.

thanks

Axi

here ya go mate , not a diary but

a quick look under the backyard hoop house 

https://youtu.be/K1XNB1G9eE4

first 2 in 52lt plastic pots , both clones first one is a HSO black Dog , then a WOS Paki Valley 

my local stray that found a home , poppy , named cos she farts when you pull her tail or at least she did

when we first made friends 

in a sip is a DS Black Russian , hidden in the shade of the Fig tree next door , that i helped solely to create 

hence the removal of 2 x 2.4m long raised beds in the hoop house = give you one guess where the fig tree

roots were growing , where the sun don't shine & the food was good 

SSS Escobar , revegged & half transplanted in a bigger pot & in the corner a blue dream revegged sitting in a drip tray full of scoria

so the fabric pot works like a sip , wicking out of the drip tray 

there's a few others , a couple thc bombs & a dinks lemon skunk  , all were given to someone who managed 

to transplant 1 of 4 & leave the other 3 in there seed starting pots for months 

i was actually impressed he kept them going in lill pots for that long , anyway i confiscated them back & got them in

some bigger pots , 5 gallon fabric for the last 6 to 8 weeks then transplanted pot & all into a 10 gallon fabric at the start of flower 

not ideal but didn't have any bigger pots to start with , 15 gallon would have been good , it was late in the season so 10 gallons of soil 

was enough , just not fun trying to keep such a small pot alive & active with soil life  

vid quality is a bit shit  

Edited by itchybromusic