Cheap DIY Grow Kit?

Gday all,

Before I start big cuddos to PurpleADL and their Cooler posts in Growing Techniques.

Anywho, there is mountains of information on this forum for beginners and the more advanced. But what I can’t seem to find is, no judgment, easy, cheap, diy alternatives for growing. The cheapest kits can be found on eBay for around $500+ but I mean, for the standard getting started beginner this is one heck of an investment.

So my question to the community is, what is the cheapest/easiest grow build you have ever accomplished?

There shall be no judgment here, only creative love <3

Bare arsed basics like SE mentioned would get the job done. But it probably help to know what the individual has to work with first.

As for the investment side of it. the initial outlay may seem excessive, but you've usually recouped that cost with what you harvest from that first grow, considering what you'd be paying for deals. That is as long as you've harvested at least 3 - 4oz of cured bud. lol

Edited by Indycar

Serrated has some good ideas there,

But for a smaller space, try a 2nd hand wardrobe

Lined with panda plastic or painted white inside.

When I started I made 2 main walls out of panda and a wooden frame then spaced them out with roof runners then covered that in panda. The panda dried out and cracked after 4-5 grows, but it got me started. At the time HPS lights were VERY expensive, so I started with a 2nd hand High Bay metal halide and my shade was the outside skin of an old clothes drier. the light was a bastard of a thing, took up heaps of space, but it was cheap. I didn't get any weights (Lb) from those grows, but it saved me from buying smoke. From there I improved and improved both my grow style and my setup. There was no such thing as kits back then, it was a case of making do with what you could find ie garden hose for the waterworks and recycle bins for reservoirs and lots of lateral thinking. None of us start at the top of our game. The bestest way to learn is from the bottom up, ya learn from ya cockups that way (well, I did lol )

I have a few 400w mag ballasts and if you lived here I'd donate ya one, but to freight it over there would cost ya more than its worth.

Best advise: Ya don't need new to start (2nd hand stores), think small then expand as the $$$ allows. I've known of many a grower who has gone big, spent heaps only to lose out and give up, doing their dough. No one becomes a czar from a home grow and of those that do go big, also fall big when they get busted. Start small, learn and supply self.

Merl1n

• Upvote 1

What's the matter with perlite .?

Do you mean the dust ? A bit annoying as any dust ,but I have never seen anything to suggest it's toxic or cancerous

Because it ain't,

Perlite is fine, vermiculite not so much.

Quite a few years ago (early 90's) a few growers would use a blend of Perlite & Vermiculite as a grow medium. Fortunately, the Vermiculite was either moved away from by growers/suppliers or taken off the market altogether. Dunno for sure, but good to see it gone. From what I gathered back at the time it was pretty well harmless if kept moist, otherwise dangerous when dry. Potting up with it was probably the most crucial time.

Don't know the full story with it, as I never used it myself.

Perlite is fine, vermiculite not so much.

Quite a few years ago (early 90's) a few growers would use a blend of Perlite & Vermiculite as a grow medium. Fortunately, the Vermiculite was either moved away from by growers/suppliers or taken off the market altogether. Dunno for sure, but good to see it gone. From what I gathered back at the time it was pretty well harmless if kept moist, otherwise dangerous when dry. Potting up with it was probably the most crucial time.

Don't know the full story with it, as I never used it myself.

You can still buy it, 75/25 mix or a bag on its own , got a bag of 75/25 i'm using now, don't tell me its poisonous,

fuck it back to areoponics, still the quickest and best way to grow, except for dirt, fucking to hard to get them outside in the sun tho