Soil vs coco

Only ever used straight coco once, thought it was crap, and went to dirt, if anyone is getting 10cm a day growth in coco, sing out and i will go back to it

best of growing the roots in air if you want to grow hydro, in my opinion  

You may wanna bite your tongue on that one see my Red Poision Diary think fro memory i had 25cm growth in 2 days

• Upvote 1

I think coco outperforms soil hands down.... it just requires a lot more attention to your ph and ppm levels going in and coming out.... watching for build up and ph fluctuations, then flushing accordingly with qtr strength solution... flushing with only phd water messes with the cation exchange capacity of the medium.... youll throw everything out of whack, mainly the iron,cal and mag levels though, will also likely rebuffer the cocos ph either to high or to low.... haha once you get the hang of it you will never look at soil or other hydro methods again[emoji16] if you think cocos to much work, i reccomend the canna terra pro, you can get away with a lot more mistakes....

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

Edited by dr.argon
  • Upvote 1

I think coco outperforms soil hands down.... it just requires a lot more attention to your ph and ppm levels going in and coming out.... watching for build up and ph fluctuations, then flushing accordingly with qtr strength solution... flushing with only phd water messes with the cation exchange capacity of the medium.... youll throw everything out of whack, mainly the iron,cal and mag levels though, will also likely rebuffer the cocos ph either to high or to low.... haha once you get the hang of it you will never look at soil or other hydro methods again[emoji16] if you think cocos to much work, i reccomend the canna terra pro, you can get away with a lot more mistakes....

shit hey, you're probably right, can i use coco outside ?

shit hey, you're probably right, can i use coco outside ?

Id say yes.... ive never growen outdoors though. Id still use a pot though , that way you can keep an eye on your runoff. To make sure your not getting build up or ph lockout.

Youd go through a shit ton of nutrients though.... as coco requires daily feeding to run off, to pull fresh oxygen through the root system and wash away excess nutrient salts. If you let the root zone in coco dry like you would soil, the nutrient salts will crystallize and you will burn the plants, its also very hard to flush salts that have crystallized.

For example i have 2 plants on day 19 of flower , they are in a 70/30 mix of coco perlite, in 28L smart pots (i hand water though) at lights on, each plant is getting 4-5 liters of solution to acheive 20% runoff. Then an hour before lights off , each plant is getting 6-7 liters of solution, to again get 20% runoff. They show no signs of over watering..... if anything..... i think i could up the amounts a bit haha. The growth im getting is very explosive the sour diesel im confident ill hit an lb off the one plant and the gluberry og..... id say at least 12oz..... providing i dont fu#k up to much along the way haha [emoji16]

Edited by dr.argon
  • Upvote 1

It's a lot of fucking around with coco ,,,and in coco ,,for how long are the roots aerated ? Not too long cause it stays saturated then you've got to wait till you think it's right . It's a bit hard without X-ray vision . Oh lift the pot .yeh sure,that'd help the scrog guys.and big pots with big plants.

Seen to often peeps want advice on keeping it simple .

Then they get advised to use Coco ,then they hit this problem of getting the moisture right .often problems snowball from there.

So I reckon it's crap ,Especially compared to perlite . Use perlite and you can water as often as you want knowing the roots are getting

plenty of essential oxygen. But people still recomend coco all the time.

• Upvote 2

It's a lot of fucking around with coco ,,,and in coco ,,for how long are the roots aerated ? Not too long cause it stays saturated then you've got to wait till you think it's right . It's a bit hard without X-ray vision . Oh lift the pot .yeh sure,that'd help the scrog guys.and big pots with big plants.

Seen to often peeps want advice on keeping it simple .

Then they get advised to use Coco ,then they hit this problem of getting the moisture right .often problems snowball from there.

So I reckon it's crap ,Especially compared to perlite . Use perlite and you can water as often as you want knowing the roots are getting

plenty of essential oxygen. But people still recomend coco all the time.

Shit hey, you might be right, can i use perlite outside ?

you can see why i say Areoponics, way less bullshit compered to most every other way

Edited by pedro de pacas
  • Upvote 1

I think the biggest problem most people have with coco, is not paying attention to their runoff.. or putting to small a plant into a big pot.... be patient and build up your pot size so you can achieve runoff targets without watering medium with no roots in it. its almost impossible to overwater in coco...... when your plant is mature anyway. During veg i water smaller amounts and only once per day. I used to use straight perlite with a recirculating system. Was very good results , but a lot of time spent on maintaining the nutrient res levels ect and if your pump shits itself your plants will cook very quickly if the lights are on...... so very little room for error. My yeilds have increased dramatically since using coco as well. But of course everyone is going to have their own preference and ideas on what works best for them [emoji16]

Edited by dr.argon
  • Upvote 2

And their should be no waiting to water with coco, its a hydroponic medium you need to feed everyday. At full saturation coco has much higher 02 levels than h20 levels..... plenty of studies have proved this. Thats what makes it such a good medium. If you treat it like soil and let it dry between feeds..... youll end up with nutrient imbalances, salt build up and ph fluctuations..... will just be a shit fight start to finish.

Edited by dr.argon