Soil vs coco

I have been anti soil for a very long time i actually thought soil was the worse medium to use and i use to tell people to go coco, I am now slowly coming around and learning about soil and whats in it not for me but the plants i am not up to the stage of making my own soils or mixes however i have added worm castings or worm poo to my veggi's and the growth in soil is outstanding to previous attempts, if u don't have the knowledge of making a good home brewed soil and you fail using pre packaged potting mixes what i done was added the worm poo and it transformed my soil into actually something worthy looking into more seeing as a potting mix contains all the food a plant needs it just needs to be unlocked and released a better way to be available for the plants

I'm not sure how the worm poo actually turns the soil from shit to fantastic but it does work although there is still something in the back of my head saying the potting mix is still shit and the plants are living off of the worm poo but i am trying to believe the existing fertilizer in the commercially bagged potting mix is actually working or doing part of its job

previously for me all commercial potting mix has done for me is killed my seedlings possibly from over feeding, lack of nutrition, lack of food etc.. i donno it has been a lot of years, a few weeks ago i tested 2 bags of my local garden stores pre packaged potting mixes for vegi's i used two plain types in nothing but the potting mixes these both had very poor results i also at the same time mixed up 2 more pots this time including worm poo in both pots this transformed the basic potting mixes into super potting mixes, the two later plants are thriving and florishing they have over exceeded my expectations by a huge margin they have grown out as wide as up, the only different i noticed was one plant has 2 large flowers where as the other plant has 5 smaller flowers

would i give this supercharged potting mix a go in my grow room? You betcha! i am already planning it,

once u have a nice soil combo u know grows nice healthy and green plants stick with it as with soil u can be a lazy gardener all it takes is a jug of water strait from the tap, you get organic results, you know whats in your soil you know what your plants are up taking and most importantly you know whats going into your lungs!

coco u may smash out some good results but u need to put in the effort there is PH testing, mixing nutrients, mixing additives, more frequent waterings, than their is the pain in the ass flushing! but don't get me wrong if u can nail all of the above your harvest will reward you decently

I dislike using just plain coir, I use a peat based mix with coir and added perlite, it costs $40 a bag tho, but in my opinion it's worth the extra dosh because I'm finding it works well for me. Canna terra pro is the name of the mix they recommend a pH of 6.0 which is good because my nutes balance out at 6. I wouldn't even bother with Bunnings soils I've used them for tomatoes and other plants and it's 80% pine bark for bulk.

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

I agree with maryjane , pure coir is a pain in the ass, it cakes up more and is more prone to salt build up ect. Canna terra pro or pro plus are very good professional potting mixes just be sure to use the canna terra nutrients and dont treat it like soil, its still classed as a hydroponic medium so would be suited to daily or every other day feeds. I personally use nutrifeilds coco/perlite mix, it comes premixed and pre buffered. Then I run cannas full coco nutrient range, minus the boost accelerator. The results are pretty awesome

• Upvote 2

I’ve been growing for 25 yrs half of that with hydros but have tryed many different systems and methods and soil types and for me it’s definitely coco hands down for yield and quality , just have to stick to a few golden rules and you will never have problems... it’s almost fool proof

Can you share some of these rules with me!?
  • Upvote 2

With soil a tip my father taught me, is dip your finger into the soil if it's got soil on it, it doesn't need watering, wet soil should stick whereas dry soil won't as much, with my current setup I only water every second-third day

Hi maryjane ,I dont mean to come across as a know it all lol, but if youre using canna terra.... its not really soil, its classed as a hydroponic medium, you would probably find youll get a lot more explosive growth if you go to small waterings everyday (10% runoff) or medium waterings every other day with 15-20% runoff[emoji16] . Any medium with coco in it needs more constant feeds to keep fresh oxygen levels up in the root zone.

Edited by dr.argon
  • Upvote 1