Harlequin bugs

Hi guys, I have noticed a lot of harlequin bugs (see attached photo I found online - I used to call them soldier beetles, but apparently harlequin bug is the correct term - dindymus versicolour) on my outdoor ladies. There are a lot of fruit trees around, which I think is attracting them, but they are all over the ladies also, and are present as both juvenile bugs and adults. Apparently these bugs are suckers and one of the worst things to have in gardens, they can ruin crops of all sorts. Despite this, the plants are still large and healthy, but I think the bugs are accumulating somewhat and obviously I don’t want the little buggers causing trouble, especially now that we are in flower season

I have done some online research, and found the following two potential treatments. Neither seems to be a final solution though:

* strong soapy water (made with laundry detergent) sprayed directly onto the bugs where they cluster. Apparently you have to do this on an on-going basis every couple of days or so. This is recommended by Peter Cundall, but unfortunately he does not indicate how much detergent to use, and I imagine that this wouldn’t be great for the ladies? Someone else suggested that flicking the bugs off into a bucket of soapy water works better, although this seems like a lot of work.

* confidor. Apparently this kills them when sprayed directly onto them, although I thought that given it is a systemic insecticide, and the bugs are suckers, spraying on the plant would work better? However, confidor is not recommended for food crops, and shouldn’t be sprayed onto stuff to be consumed less than three weeks before harvest. Apparently the bugs also return after a couple of days, so the three week thing would be problematic anyway.

So this is where I am. Does anyone have any further information, or better still personal experience? Does the soapy water work, and how much detergent should I add per litre, should I spray it on the plant or only the bugs etc. Is confidor ok to use or should I avoid it like the plague? Are the bugs even that big a problem or am I tilting at windmills?

I would really appreciate any advice anyone has to offer.

post-49101-0-03789300-1517710832_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Cool cat 13

Google plant soap sprays

Cheers serrated edge. I found this on the gardening Australia website, does it look like the sort of thing I should be trying?

“Aphids, Caterpillars and Other Insects: Add two tablespoons of soap flakes to one litre of water and stir thoroughly until completely dissolved (this is quicker in warm water). There is no need to dilute this further, just spray it on as is.”

Edited by Cool cat 13