compost

what was that about to many ingredients in soil mixes , wow ! 

that' lots of poo ( N ) & not allot of carbon if your looking to make compost 

carbon to nitrogen ratio is very important for compost to breakdown & be a usable soil amendment when done

not to mention the turning of the pile & the pile to be a size no smaller than X , = can't remember , square meter i think  

i'll assume all the poo above is already composted cos you can't compost fresh manure in 30 days 

there is also well made compost ( like biodynamic made compost ) & not so well made compost , my thinking says N on top of N on top of N 

wouldn't be a compost considered well made imho 

good luck with it & if poo is your thing the highest NPK poo would be rabbit 

• Upvote 2

Hot compost...30 days trust me its hot must keep an eye on temps around 60°-70°..

Fresh poo is the go..as thats my only green the other leaves grass n hay all dead just carbon...

From raw material to that in 15 days turning pile inside out every few days

30 days done let cure for 2 weeks ish good to go

Veggie scraps also added to the mix...

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

KALM can u by any chance do a ingredient list by amounts or weights? i have just given soil a try and i am very surprized at what a potting mix with worm castings can do my vegis are smashing along

Cow poo 7 bags(feed bags) fresh you can smell the urine

Chook poo what ever i get out of my chooks..aprox 2-3 kg slightly composted already

Duck poo 3-4KG

Worm poo 10-15 Kg my own farm

Also brew worm tea with awsome results

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

• Upvote 1

Ahh no that's not correct 

grass hay & leaves are a N source in composting 

hay is used as feed for animals , meaning the plant was chopped B4 producing it's seed so all nutrients are still present in the plant = N source 

straw however , like barley straw , is the left overs after the plant has produced it's seed & been harvested , all nutrients in the plant were used to make seed = carbon source 

leaves fallen from trees & dried are a N source , grass clippings wet or dry are a N source 

roots systems from dead plants are carbon source , old potting soil is considered a carbon source 

what makes carbon in composting is material with zero nutrient value = as mentioned barley straw ,

keep in mind the term straw & hay do get mixed up a bit , like Pea Straw , should be Pea Hay 

as chrystal is finding out , worm casting make things better , you'd be much better off vermi composting all that poo 

& add it to some peat & aeration , rather than gambling on getting quantities right with un composted poo 

ps some trees do suck the nutrients out of leaves B4 they fall , they would be a carbon source 

Edited by itchybromusic
  • Upvote 2