How to ask psychiatrist for cannabis prescription

Chrystal

Question

I have been seeing a psychiatrist for 11 years this february i'm abit of a head case main problem is schitzophrania,major depression i have been on highest doses of antipsychotic and anti depressants for around 10 of those years

Now about 1 year ago my treating dr reduced my medication 1/4th the dose and around 5 6 months later i went off the rails like a absolute lunatic so me dr bumped up the medication again

Now looking at research on the medications in long term use they should be stopped after 10 years this is probably why the dr was reducing my medication, the medication has left me feeling motionless, unmotivated, find it hard to show effection and love new people to my life

The anti depressants are pretty much a root around they have done nothing for me

I have a appointment coming up and i think i am going to ask the dr if i can go onto the legal weed he will likely say no but what are some questions i should ask or tell him

Is there anything in particular i should mention?

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

Legal weed,good luck.But you can buy as much tobacco and alcohol as you like and not be judged ,but smoke a joint and get caught and all of a sudden your a criminal..Think things will change as soon as the greedy politicians realise how much money they can line their pockets with,,,until then we will all have to wait until they are ready..what a fucken joke..what is the fucken hold up...ignorance...

Exactly my thoughts weedmonsta!!

Sent from my iPhone using OZ Stoners

Hey mikzsan,

It really depends on the dr/shrink. I've had a gp blankly refuse, in fact he accused me of trying to obtain meds to sell (NEVER would), Ive had another not wanting to go through the bullshit to get it approved and I've had another not know what the whole processes of obtaining approval was. As for psych's that's a whole other kettle of fish. The older establishment shrinks IMO 'you have a snowballs chance in hell ' of getting it approved. Many have the view that canna causes mental health issues or at the very least are a precursor. Admittedly there are some practitioners  who are willing to look outside the square but only for certain conditions and mental health are not one of those conditions from my experience anyways.

Merl1n

• Upvote 3

I have been seeing a psychiatrist for 11 years this february i'm abit of a head case main problem is schitzophrania,major depression i have been on highest doses of antipsychotic and anti depressants for around 10 of those years

Now about 1 year ago my treating dr reduced my medication 1/4th the dose and around 5 6 months later i went off the rails like a absolute lunatic so me dr bumped up the medication again

Now looking at research on the medications in long term use they should be stopped after 10 years this is probably why the dr was reducing my medication, the medication has left me feeling motionless, unmotivated, find it hard to show effection and love new people to my life

The anti depressants are pretty much a root around they have done nothing for me

I have a appointment coming up and i think i am going to ask the dr if i can go onto the legal weed he will likely say no but what are some questions i should ask or tell him

Is there anything in particular i should mention?

You sound like my son. He was diagnosed when he was 16 he is now 32 and still taking his pills. His psych told him he would probably be on them his whole life. His chosen profession, psychology has helped him understand his problem and deal with it. He told me after his mum died of cancer that he could not cry or basically feel any emotion at all. It was his meds causing this. He has cut his intake down to a 1/4 of a tab daily. He sees his psychiatrist once a year for assessment and all is good with him. I send him Anzacs a few times a year and he reckons it helps him tremendously. We both hate the idea of having to be sneaky about it but we have no choice and he lives in Victoria were med cannabis will probably be legalised there first. He has spoken to his psych and she says anything that helps without side effects ( lol he likes getting high as most of us do) is a good thing. He just has to wait until it is legalised. She would not could not prescribe cannabis yet. Good luck and it never hurts to ask GP or psych if they can do it for you. Tell your GP exactly how you feel and get a second opinion, the next GP may be more sympathetic to your needs. My bad was comfortably numb when I read your paragraph and missed the schizophrenia part. My son only suffers from depression and anxiety. With your illness use cannabis with much caution if you are going to use it. 

Edited by brick
  • Upvote 1

You sound like my son. He was diagnosed when he was 16 he is now 32 and still taking his pills. His psych told him he would probably be on them his whole life. His chosen profession, psychology has helped him understand his problem and deal with it. He told me after his mum died of cancer that he could not cry or basically feel any emotion at all. It was his meds causing this. He has cut his intake down to a 1/4 of a tab daily. He sees his psychiatrist once a year for assessment and all is good with him. I send him Anzacs a few times a year and he reckons it helps him tremendously. We both hate the idea of having to be sneaky about it but we have no choice and he lives in Victoria were med cannabis will probably be legalised there first. He has spoken to his psych and she says anything that helps without side effects (lol he likes getting high as most of us do) is a good thing. He just has to wait until it is legalised. She would not could not prescribe cannabis yet. Good luck and it never hurts to ask GP or psych if they can do it for you. Tell your GP exactly how you feel and get a second opinion, the next GP may be more sympathetic to your needs.

Good luck with the docs etc, you I’ll need it from my experience..

Kloud 9 [emoji106]

I was thinking about this topic more last night and I just needed to add something. Anyway, even if you somehow get the product to be careful where you get it from, everything that you put in your body should be of good quality, not of off some sketchy website and hoping for the best. You have to be sure that the ingredients are legit and that it's not some fake stuff in there. I always read reviews about herbal rva cause that's what I get and I've never had problems with it, but I've heard of cases.