How to ask psychiatrist for cannabis prescription

Chrystal

Question

I have been seeing a psychiatrist for 11 years this february i'm abit of a head case main problem is schitzophrania,major depression i have been on highest doses of antipsychotic and anti depressants for around 10 of those years

Now about 1 year ago my treating dr reduced my medication 1/4th the dose and around 5 6 months later i went off the rails like a absolute lunatic so me dr bumped up the medication again

Now looking at research on the medications in long term use they should be stopped after 10 years this is probably why the dr was reducing my medication, the medication has left me feeling motionless, unmotivated, find it hard to show effection and love new people to my life

The anti depressants are pretty much a root around they have done nothing for me

I have a appointment coming up and i think i am going to ask the dr if i can go onto the legal weed he will likely say no but what are some questions i should ask or tell him

Is there anything in particular i should mention?

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

Try searching for: 100 ways to support recovery. A guide for mental health.

Its from Melb uni. Sorry couldnt copy the link.

Recovery is the most current thinking about Mental health. Concentrating on what is right with a person, their strengths. Its about having a personal narrative that includes the illness as a meaningful part of life and having a valued presence in the community Eg MI is part of you not all you are. The medical model of chemical inbalance has a different take, which maybe has a better place when your acutely unwell.

Recovery talks of

1 positive self image. Permission to think the things that make you feel good about yourself.

2 framing the illness. Making sense of it. Give it meaning in your life.

3.self manage your mental health

4 get out there in community life.

They're the basic steps.

Peace

Sent from my SM-G935F using OZ Stoners mobile app

High,

I'm not sure what you could ask. I have a friend in a similar situation, have you found a strain or preparation (smoking, edibles, tinctures etc) that helps you most?

I guess the main thing would be to stress your concern over what you are currently taking and that you believe cannabis is a valid alternative.

However I don't think (not sure though) that any Doctors in Australia are prescribing cannabis for mental health issues. Thats secondhand info so I'd still ask the question.

Good luck with everything.

Sadly, physicians prescribing cannabis have relatively little discretion being constrained by the Therapeutic Goods Administration guidelines.

For cannabis they are @ https://www.tga.gov.au/access-medicinal-cannabis-products

Patient guidelines @ https://www.tga.gov.au/publication/guidance-use-medicinal-cannabis-australia-patient-information

There are no psychiatric guidelines so there are no approved psychiatric uses and you'll need a brave shrink to agree to prescribe cannabis for reasons not covered by TGA approved use guidelines.

My 2c worth: medicalization is a ploy by big pharma and some extremists in my ex-profession to try to control a fucking weed. We all need to fight it.

We want adults to be able to use herbs in private with all the same constraints to protect others as with existing intoxicants like alcohol - like not operating machinery or motor vehicles since other people could be harmed. I do not need a prescription and I am very well placed to make an informed choice about what I vaporise in the privacy of my own home.

Edited by doctor_nelson
  • Upvote 2

I have been seeing a psychiatrist for 11 years this february i'm abit of a head case main problem is schitzophrania,major depression i have been on highest doses of antipsychotic and anti depressants for around 10 of those years

Now about 1 year ago my treating dr reduced my medication 1/4th the dose and around 5 6 months later i went off the rails like a absolute lunatic so me dr bumped up the medication again

Now looking at research on the medications in long term use they should be stopped after 10 years this is probably why the dr was reducing my medication, the medication has left me feeling motionless, unmotivated, find it hard to show effection and love new people to my life

The anti depressants are pretty much a root around they have done nothing for me

I have a appointment coming up and i think i am going to ask the dr if i can go onto the legal weed he will likely say no but what are some questions i should ask or tell him

Is there anything in particular i should mention?

Legal weed,good luck.But you can buy as much tobacco and alcohol as you like and not be judged ,but smoke a joint and get caught and all of a sudden your a criminal..Think things will change as soon as the greedy politicians realise how much money they can line their pockets with,,,until then we will all have to wait until they are ready..what a fucken joke..what is the fucken hold up...ignorance...

I don't want to sound completely hypocritical either. Because I know how hard it is to refrain from drug use with this condition. But the sooner you come to terms with the fact that you can't use cannabis or certain substances the sooner you will recover and move on with your life.

Cocaine, speed and weed are the big three can't do's

Have you considered brewing your own alcohol or even dabbling in heroin or MDMA.

I know this is the last thing you want to be hearing right now. But consider seeking psychological assistance (a psychologist) as well as a drug and alcohol counseling. 

• Upvote 1