On a mish to find a good prepackaged soil

Soil is something i have never really grown in for long, in the 90's i done a few grows but i didn't have the resources we have today so i relied on books only there were no internet for me back than, i had good success using backyard dirt i have a picture on here i have shown a few times growing in this sandy clay mix

than when i went indoors i left thesoil behind first indoor set up was a flood and drain clay ball table than i moved onto the coco

just found the percentage on the worm castings in this link http://biosoil.farm/worm-castings-application-rates/

i've used more than 20% castings in a mix without a prob , however , in a small pot the castings , especially at the top

can turn to very hard lill rocks if they dry out , & a lill hard to re hydrate 

some of the best castings come from not quite finished compost fed to the worms 

this is basically how you feed your pet pot of soil via a mulch layer 

i put this pic up the other day , this pic is of under the mulch layer , in this case the top of the mulch layer is plastic 

covering the castings top dress & keeping everything beneath the cover moist 24/7 

notice the white roots growing up into the new mulch layer not down , this is how plants have evolved to grow in the wild 

there is always a mulch layer & around the bottom of that mulch layer is where allot of the life & food is , so roots will grow there 

but not if the top soil is always dry , not much life living in dryness 

post-50689-0-21199900-1516480427_thumb.jpg

the white fur is a bacterial mycelium made by top dressing a version of bokashi under the plastic cover 

• Upvote 1

If your buying bagged stuff gaz theres a fair chance it could already be infested with unwanted bugs/gnats , as a lot of people have had this problem buying bagged soil and composts but if you find thats the case then yes just spread it all out on a tarp and let it dry out completely give it a turn every few days till its dry all through out and maybe even drench with neem oil to be sure before you plant anything in it, cheers gaz,,GQ

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

• Upvote 1

def storage is a prob , bunnings sell plastic ol style rubbish bins 60 & 80lts

i found on ebay food grade 44gal drums with lid & seal that i store soil mixes in 

& use the plastic bins for amendment storage 

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xfood+grade+44gal+drum.TRS0&_nkw=food+grade+44gal+drum&_sacat=0

do you have a animal feed place near by , they'll sell barley straw , lucerne charf , barley seed 

generally cheaper than garden supply , if organic is important you'll need to ask 

yep what GQ said chances are they are already there in bagged soil products 

not a fan of drying a soil mix out but it will help 

• Upvote 1