On a mish to find a good prepackaged soil

Ok just reading about it now seems worm castings are good for seedlings or full grown plants it doesn't burn the roots like chicken poo etc.. i will need to do a bit more reading to find out if i can get away with only using worm casting as the sole food provider....

this is interesting, i have assumed for a long time that potting mixes and soil's alike were all poor quality and hydroponics were far superior, it's a learning curve

since any age plants can use worm castings i don't think there is a cooking time on it but i will have to look into it more

so far to make a 30L bag of diy soil its only going to cost about $30, the cal/mag and the other additive seem to last a while if using 5-6 grams per litre of soil those bags from bunnings would make heaps of soil

Yeah nah I'm not buying the bunnings potting mixes or soils i went down that road when bunnings first opened in Australia i could not get past 2 nodes before the seedlings were killed, while i was looking at the vegi and herb mixes today i noticed the garden store also bagged 100% soil in the same type of bag i purchased i may grab a bag of that or go the coco route undecided will let ya's know what i chose next week

Start making your own compost gazza its nutrient rich full of all the good stuff that plants like to feed on and you can make it for free, a qaulity manure will also help feed your babies through out your grow and of course if you can see that your plants are hungry at some stage then a manure tea or sprout tea as itchy mentioned and many other organic concoctions can be made later down the track if needed, and worms i add worms to everything if you add worms to your mix or into your pots than there also working for you for free making castings all day and night so your plants have access to castings when ever they need, seafood and fish are also great for overall health just be sure not to over do it less is more especially when working with potted plants you can always add more but its hard to resolve if you make your mix to hot, soil from the ground unless you know its contaminated is the best thing you can start with after all it is where mother nature intended all plants to grow and in most cases its already teaming with life to, So you've got soil from the ground, compost,manure,fish or seafood or a mix of both which is what ive done this year and worms theres your 5 ingredients thats pretty much my choice of goodies and that mix has always served my well gaz , ive tried all sorts of different mixes over the years but thats the one i always go back to and the reason is because thats the one that always gives me the best results,cheers,,GQ

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

dolomite & gypsum i use 1/4 cup per half cubic foot of soil mix 

this shouldn't need to cook but if you have a week or 2 b4 you need it

not such a bad thing to let it sit 

if no time to let sit , add roots via cover cropping because all root systems attract life to the pot

& nutrients when you mulch over the top & kill it   

adding worms as MM said is good but you should also find some in the castings to begin with 

you'll need these guys to keep making casting at the bottom of your mulch layer 

i would be careful with starting seeds in full casting mix , i found sometimes they kick full on 

& sometimes the castings are too much for them  

• Upvote 1

Yeah sounds good Queeny but the whole cooking process is a bit slow with the manure i was reading some places let it cook for a whole year where as a online thingo said u can cook it fast in 14 days but it would probably still be a strong mix and they mentioned u had to keep turning it i am a lazy gardener so that doesn't mix i want less effort in my work haha

I'm ganna run with just the worm castings and see how i go i might add a basic liquid fertilizer if needed as long as i don't need to buy another PH meter

found someone with the WC so i will see how i go